Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool install/build *pics*

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool install/build *pics*

Well FINALLY today, after 6+ weeks of delays, they started our dig. Started is the operative word, but I won't get ahead of myself. Here are a couple of BEFORE shots.

This is our spot:

We purchased this home last summer and immediately began extensive remodeling. We learned that the previous owners had an inground pool that had been filled and we checked into digging it back out, but long story short, that isn't possible. So we opted to move far to the left to avoid the existing in-ground, and install a 33' round above ground. Because of the lay of the land, it would have to be 24" under ground on the side closest to the house.

This bed of hostas will all be removed to make way for a small 10x16 deck:

27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool install/build *pics*

Today the crew arrived and got started (pic taken from kitchen window - don't mind the flash and the fingerprints )

Some of OUR crew watched from the window

Wasn't long before we ran into trouble. A little concrete which we expected, a little landscaping drainage and pool plumbing (also expected), and POOL - not expected. Apparently the measurements we were given on the location of the existing in-ground were ever so slightly off. UGH.

27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Filled in and buried pools make me sad
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Plan B - move our pool to the left a little bit more. Thankfully we had 811 mark the buried utilities...

Until they missed one, I guess. :/ We heard a pop and saw smoke, and a breaker tripped. However, everything in the house still had power, so we have no idea what this line is. Call in to the electric company. Guy shows up and says no problem, he can fix that. Kills power main to the house...meter is still spinning! Next step, pull the meter.

He repaired the damage and we're up and running again...sort of.

While this was going on, one of the guys got a phone call from his wife that she and their kids were just in an accident. They were bringing pizzas to our house and a guy on a motorcycle crossed the yellow line on a curve and T-boned into the side of their car. He went flying out of here to check on them (they were only 1/4 mile away - we heard the sirens). Thankfully yes, they are all ok, but their car is totaled and the man who hit them had bones protruding from his legs, and some broken ribs.

With everything being such a mess, we decided to call it a day. Gave them cold beer and talked about plan C.

Tomorrow we are calling 811 AGAIN to see if we can get this mess straightened out and make sure we won't be running into anything else! New (tentative) plan is to move pool over and back both, to avoid the old pool and the electric, barring any other unpleasant discoveries. This will mean buying more privacy fence, and our 10x16 deck becomes a 20x16 deck...which will be much nicer in the long run.

Fingers crossed for next Saturday install - and no rain this week!

Current hole in the yard, with pool pieces scattered everywhere. Oh yeah, and one top rail broken, and a replacement ordered. Good times!

5. Back To Top    #5

This ought to be entertaining
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

That buried pool makes me sad too - for many reasons!

Possibly it is more entertaining if it is not your pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

They probably didn't know how to care for it.

Thank goodness you called 811.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter