Comments on pump/filter choices for small AGP?

Hey all,

Still in the process of grooming my site and slowly assembling my AGP. It's an 8'x15' AGP (roughly 2800 gallons), and I'm trying to make up my mind on pumps/filters. I'm mainly looking at cartridge filters due to they seem to be recommended more often for smaller pools, and I'm a fan of the easy maintenance and lack of backwash. Here's the choices:

Gold standard (based on my research here):
- Pentair Dynamo 340203 (3/4HP, 2-speed)
- Pentair CC75 or CC100 (15sf per 1000gpm = 45sf needed, so I'm still oversized with these. Understand it let's you go longer between backwashes)
Roughly ~$515-$560 depending on filter (plus base $?)

Silver:
- Pentair PNCC0100OE1160 pump and filter package. Contains 1HP Optiflo, and the CC100, with a base.
Roughly $391

Bronze:
- Pentair PNCC0075OE1160 pump and filter package. 1HP Optiflo, except with CC75 and base.
Roughly $302

Note that they're all pentair (not a requirement).... I was looking at the 2-speed dynamo due to recommendations on energy efficiency here, however I am tempted by the cheaper packages with the optiflo. Thoughts? Am I correct in my assumption that if I get the dynamo and CCXX separately, that I'll also have to buy the base?

Another benefit of the cheaper packages is it simplifies my electrical install. The optiflo comes with plug, the dynamo has no plug. Considering the 2-speed nature of the dynamo, I'd have to come up with a switch and hard-wire arrangement. Not impossible, but I haven't been able to find any good photos of similar arrangements (feel free to post!). I would like the ability to disconnect the pump and move it inside for the winter, so that's one selling point for the optiflo packages. (Safety note - I'm relatively experienced with electricity, but also know when I'm in over my head. I'll get an electrician if I feel it necessary. I just like to know the answers before I ask the questions... of the electrician that is)

One other factor that I haven't dived into is the timer. I'm certain there's plenty of plug-in and hard-wired options, but feel free to make recommendations on that if you feel it will influence the above choices.

Thanks!

Given the size of your pool, I'd go with #3.
It would be nice if you could get a 2-speed pump, but no longer than you'll need to run it, the single speed pumps won't be bad on power usage.

If you're not terribly against backwashing I'd actually recommend the Intex Sand filter and pump for your pool.

There is a lot of variety in actual vs advertised power for above ground pool pumps, so it really depends on the 1 hp pump. I would also suggest looking at the Intex 2800 sand filter / pump combo, it is not a matter of it being particularly great, but rather a great bang for the buck, selling mail order under $150 for everything but the pool filter sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.