Pump motor replacement

May 26, 2014
Frisco, TX
Hi All, I need some advice on finding the right replacement motor for my pool pump which died yesterday.

The pump is Hayward Super II Pump, model SP3015X202AZ, it uses 2 speed motor. None of the local stores carry those, so I guess I will have to go to ebay. However, I wanted to check a couple of things before ordering one.

1) The tag one the pump says it is 2HP, but the motor is 1.5HP, model SPX1610Z2M(S). Would it make sense to upgrade to a 2HP motor or just go with the exact replacement?

2) Two speed motors seem to be harder to find nowadays. What if I go with a single speed? Or upgrade to a variable speed one? Any pros/cons besides the obvious difference in the electric bill?

You have to consider the service factor of the motor too. Look at the SF*HP and match that. I would recommend staying with the 2 speed. Remember to replace the shaft seal too.

The SP3015X202AZ is an up rated 2 HP which is the same as a full rated 1.5 HP which is probably the motor that is on there now. You can actually use either one.

That is a 1 HP full rated motor despite what they are telling you. A 1.5 HP full rated (2 hp up rated) would be a 1615. The last two digits are the FRHP.

Update: new motor arrived yesterday. Since I took the pump apart anyway, I decided to replace all seals, impeller, impeller ring and diffuser, which were showing some wear. Installed new parts without any problems, the pump is running like new.

Thanks everyone for advice! :)

Probably the single most important number on the data plate is the Frame Size. Also important is the part number, HP, and RPM...... Hayward does not make these pump motors, it appears that Century does. You can probably buy the same thing cheaper....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.