Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump motor replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump motor replacement

Hi All, I need some advice on finding the right replacement motor for my pool pump which died yesterday.

The pump is Hayward Super II Pump, model SP3015X202AZ, it uses 2 speed motor. None of the local stores carry those, so I guess I will have to go to ebay. However, I wanted to check a couple of things before ordering one.

1) The tag one the pump says it is 2HP, but the motor is 1.5HP, model SPX1610Z2M(S). Would it make sense to upgrade to a 2HP motor or just go with the exact replacement?

2) Two speed motors seem to be harder to find nowadays. What if I go with a single speed? Or upgrade to a variable speed one? Any pros/cons besides the obvious difference in the electric bill?
    32k gal IG plaster pool w attached spa and waterfall feature, Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump, Pentair MasterTemp 400K BTU NG heater, Hayward C5025 SwimClear cartridge filter, IntelliTouch control panel w ScreenLogic2 interface.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump motor replacement

You have to consider the service factor of the motor too. Look at the SF*HP and match that. I would recommend staying with the 2 speed. Remember to replace the shaft seal too.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I forgot about SF, will take it into account.
    Yes, I got a set of seals today, just need to find a motor now.
    32k gal IG plaster pool w attached spa and waterfall feature, Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump, Pentair MasterTemp 400K BTU NG heater, Hayward C5025 SwimClear cartridge filter, IntelliTouch control panel w ScreenLogic2 interface.

4. Back To Top    #4

The SP3015X202AZ is an up rated 2 HP which is the same as a full rated 1.5 HP which is probably the motor that is on there now. You can actually use either one.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, the one that just died was 1.5 HP.
    The pump manual parts list calls for SPX1610Z2M(S) motor. Here is what I found on ebay: Hayward 1.5 HP, 2 Speed Motor Replacement Northstar - HAYSPX1610Z2MNS

It looks like the right one, but I am not sure what the difference in last three letters mean: M(S) vs. MNS.

6. Back To Top    #6

That is a 1 HP full rated motor despite what they are telling you. A 1.5 HP full rated (2 hp up rated) would be a 1615. The last two digits are the FRHP.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Ah, yes, 1615 of course. I was looking at the wrong line of the parts list.
    Thank you!

8. Back To Top    #8

Update: new motor arrived yesterday. Since I took the pump apart anyway, I decided to replace all seals, impeller, impeller ring and diffuser, which were showing some wear. Installed new parts without any problems, the pump is running like new.

Thanks everyone for advice!

9. Back To Top    #9

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Probably the single most important number on the data plate is the Frame Size. Also important is the part number, HP, and RPM...... Hayward does not make these pump motors, it appears that Century does. You can probably buy the same thing cheaper....

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, it is a Century motor with Hayward logo on it. I don't know however, if they sell a "generic" version of this motor with the same characteristics.