Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cannot Get TA to lower

1. Back To Top    #1

Cannot Get TA to lower

I want to add Borates, so i'm trying to get TA between 70-80. Right now it is around 110.

my PH was around 7.8, so i added 4 litres of muriatic acid. It was supposed to apparently lower it roughly by 23. my PH is now 6.8, hard to tell exactly cause i have a hard time matching the colours but seems around there. But my TA is still 110?????

Why is it not lowering? I now have my return jet braking the surface of the water and my stepson was in splashing around, so will wait for PH to come back up, but i don't understand why TA did not lower.
    Located in Ottawa, Ontario Canada
    23K Gal, AG, Cart filter, 1.5hp 2speed hay PowerFlo Matrix, Install Sum'13, Aquatrol SWG, Solarbear panels, kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac, TF-100
    Artesian ~500gal Grand Gayman Island Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cannot Get TA to lower

I just takes time and additions to break it. Be patient, it will come.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I just takes time and additions to break it. Be patient, it will come.

so i just wait till PH comes up to 7-7.2 and TA should go down?
    23K Gal, AG, Cart filter, 1.5hp 2speed hay PowerFlo Matrix, Install Sum'13, Aquatrol SWG, Solarbear panels, kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

By my calculation, 4 liters of acid was about three times too much to add at one time. That will have driven the PH down dangerously low.

The common PH test will report any PH below 6.8 as 6.8, so there is no easy way to measure just how low the PH has gone. That means you need to raise the PH back up in steps until you can get it to read as anything higher than 6.8 on the test.

Once you have done that, you can start working on the lowering TA process, which is a multi-step process that takes time and requires patience.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    By my calculation, 4 liters of acid was about three times too much to add at one time. That will have driven the PH down dangerously low.

The common PH test will report any PH below 6.8 as 6.8, so there is no easy way to measure just how low the PH has gone. That means you need to raise the PH back up in steps until you can get it to read as anything higher than 6.8 on the test.

Once you have done that, you can start working on the lowering TA process, which is a multi-step process that takes time and requires patience.

Oh I have not read where it says how much to add at one time, just Pool math indicated what I needed to add to get PH down and TA down to what i needed

- - - Updated - - -

Also why has TA not come down? I added a BIG load of acid.

Edited for Language. Mod-Patrick B

6. Back To Top    #6

PoolMath doesn't measure in BIG loads...We prefer more precise measurements.

Here is an article from Pool School on Lowering Total Alkalinity.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

This should be done in stages. Run another TA and report back. You should have seen some shift in the TA.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

I will have to test TA again tonight, but I had tested yesterday morning was 110, added 4L of acid around 1:30 tested again around 5pm still 110

9. Back To Top    #9

Just use care and double check. While it may not be huge there should have been some shift. I assume test discrepancy somewhere.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

10. Back To Top    #10

ok so brought my PH back up to 7.2, TA was now 120. added about 1 litre of acid it went down to 6.8 left the pump aerating overnight checked this morning PH back to ~7.5 TA only down to 110. added 2 litre of acid to bring PH back down to 7. Will test in a bit to see how much PH went down

11. Back To Top    #11

Let the pH come up naturally on its own. You can't lower TA by forcing it up with products that add any Alkalinity. Let it rise to at least 7.6 but preferably 7.8 before pushing it down with acid. This is the correct procedure.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: