Need for Spa Blower

May 3, 2015
Lucas, Tx
I have a question on the need for a spa blower. My son recently had a pool built and he used a different builder than the one I used. Both builders have good reputations and have been in business for many years. I noted my son had a piece of pool equipment that I don't have. After research I discovered it is a spa blower. I do not have a blower, my spa operates from the pump only. The water pressure coming out of the venturis on my pool is comparable to the pressure coming out of my son's venturis. However, my son's spa generates considerably more water action/bubbles than mine which I assume is due to the blower. Why do some pool builders install a blower and some do not? Is it merely a cost issue or are there other reasons to exclude a blower and operate the spa totally from the pump? Is the water action/bubbles for effect/show only so to speak? Any comments would be appreciated.

My spa has a blower with air holes in the floor of the tub. Yes, it does generate a whole lot of bubbles. I suppose if someone wanted to keep the surface rolling so nobody could see their swimsuit body beneath the surface, it's a good thing. Otherwise, I find it does nothing but a)make a lot of noise like a leafblower and b) inject a lot of cold air into the hot water, cooling it and forcing the heater to work extra hard.

I suspect it's mostly a high profit upgrade for the builder. You aren't missing much by not having it.

Richard,

You are correct, when they were building my son's pool, I also noted that he has a hole in the center of his spa floor in addition to the two drains. I only have the two drains in mine. I wondered what the hole was for, now I know. Thanks for the reply.

John S.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.