Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Total Alkalinity Issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Total Alkalinity Issues

I am just starting up my pool after a very rainy Spring and my Total Alkalinity (TA), Calcium Hardness and CYA are unusually low. What would you recommend?

PH - 73-74
    TA - 40
    CYA - 5
    Calcium Hardness - 100
    Borates - 30
    I live in the Albany NY area. The size of my pool is 24,000 gallons. The pool is an In-Ground rectangular Double Roman with a vinyl liner. I am using a Taylor K-2006 water testing kit. I have a DE filter. I have a regular chlorine pool. The pool cleaner is a 2017 Dolphin Premier Robotic In-Ground pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Total Alkalinity Issues

Did the water have time to mix well before testing? That's key. You may have a layer of rainwater on top that hasn't mixed. If so... How does the water look? If it's green or there's any algae, you want to SLAM. For that, you want things balanced but keep CYA to about 30 until you're done with it.

Next question: what chemicals do you have on hand? If you have any leftover Cal-hypo from before you discovered TFP, you can use that to chlorinate until the CH is up where you want it.

Otherwise, get bleach in first. Then mess around with the CYA and the sock. Then it's your choice whether you add baking soda or Calcium next. Too many chemicals too close together could cause some cloudiness, so space them apart a couple hours, and don't freak out if it happens. It will clear up in a day or two.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I tested the water again and mixed it well. The TA is still coming up at 40. My pool water is clear and sparkling. The pool chemicals that I have on hand are liquid chlorine and muriatic acid. What should I do to balance my water and in what order?

Thanks
    I live in the Albany NY area. The size of my pool is 24,000 gallons. The pool is an In-Ground rectangular Double Roman with a vinyl liner. I am using a Taylor K-2006 water testing kit. I have a DE filter. I have a regular chlorine pool. The pool cleaner is a 2017 Dolphin Premier Robotic In-Ground pool cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

If there's no algae, keep it that way. Add liquid chlorine to get to 3 ppm and then go shopping for stabilizer, calcium increaser, and baking soda. You don't have to buy the overpriced stuff at the pool store. Recommended Chemicals will tell you what to buy and how to add it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!