New Pool Owner Question

Hey there,

First off, let me tell you how relieved I was to discover this website and forum. It's been super helpful for me to learn about pool chemistry and all nuances that go into being a pool owner. So, we finally purchased a pool (see signature for details), and being a complete new guy to pool ownership, I am looking for help and advice.

The pool is due to be installed in 2 days, with my electrical hook-ups on the same day. I will be filling the pool using city water. I will be buying the recommended Taylor test kit in the next couple of days, and will post my water results once the fill is complete. My first question (of many to come eventually), is what components do i turn on first? Obviously I will be turning on my pump and start filtering the water immediately, however from there I'm completely lost.

When should I be adding the salt to my pool, and thus when to turn on the SWG? Or do I worry about PH, FC and CYA before the salt?
Does the heat pump get turned on after I balance the water chemistry?

Any advice (pre-water test) from you seasoned pool owners would be super helpful.

Dave

Welcome, eh? :wave:

1) Get the water circulating. Let it mix half an hour or so and check for leaks. Measure the actual depth of your water so you can calculate volume.
2) Test everything except CYA. You won't have any in tap water, so save the reagent.
3) Adjust the pH up or down as needed. What to use and how to add it is here.
4) While that is mixing, measure enough CYA to get to 50ish into a sock or nylon. Same link explains the method.
5) By the time that is done, pH should be fixed. Doublecheck it, just in case you were off the scale initially.
6) When pH is good, add 2 ppm FC.
7) Target a higher FC in subsequent days, assuming the CYA is in the water. Chart. Yours is a bleach pool at the moment. Use that chart.
8) Add salt. Let it dissolve for a day.
9) After salt has mixed overnight and the CYA has dissolved, turn on the SWG. If there are children, consider Diamond Day. Post 5
10) After a week, test CYA. You may be above or below what you targeted. Add what you need to get to 70-80.
11) Check pH and FC every day. Adjust pH as needed and play with the SWG percentage to maintain adequate FC for whatever CYA you have.

Thanks, eh.

You have just simplified my life in the near future. Thank you so much for your prompt response!!

Should all the water chemistry be balanced prior to turning on the heat pump?
At least pH, I'd say. That's an expensive piece of equipment, you don't want to etch the metal heat exchanger or start growing scale inside it.

congratulations on your new above ground swimming pool.

You should read the ABC's of pool water chemistry in Pool School to help you understand your new pool water and keep it clean.

Welcome to TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.