Opened yesterday / mosquitos

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Opened the pool yesterday. As usual the water was a lovely color between dark green and black...

Started to get the bleach in to shock. 24 hours later everything is looking better. Not great, but coming along. About where I would expect from past experience.

But Im noticing, even with the pool at a 10-12 FC with very low CYA (10-15), the surface of my pool looks like a swamp breeding ground for mosquitos. They are flying just about the water, and they are everywhere. I dont think in 10 years Ive ever seen this before. Its pretty gross :)

Will these creeps go away as I get the pool back into shape? Or is there something else going on here? Maybe coming from another source and migrating to my pool? Will a clean, healthy pool get them to pack up and leave?

Thanks a lot :)

Included in the TFPC method (all at no extra charge) is a giant dose of mosquito larvae. They are commanded to hatch when you open one of the "recommended test kits" and it is their sworn duty to harass pool owners until their short, little lives are snuffed out. :(:(:(

Ok. OK!! I'll leave the comedy to our current batch of comedians in DC.....aren't they great?

On a serious side, hatches of different bugs come and go as the season/temps fluctuate but it is a pretty good rule that a clean, chlorinated pool will minimize their impact. I think you'll see some quick "bug begone" once your pool is back to pristine.

Included in the TFPC method (all at no extra charge) is a giant dose of mosquito larvae. They are commanded to hatch when you open one of the "recommended test kits" and it is their sworn duty to harass pool owners until their short, little lives are snuffed out. :(:(:(

Ok. OK!! I'll leave the comedy to our current batch of comedians in DC.....aren't they great?

On a serious side, hatches of different bugs come and go as the season/temps fluctuate but it is a pretty good rule that a clean, chlorinated pool will minimize their impact. I think you'll see some quick "bug begone" once your pool is back to pristine.

Im really glad its no extra charge because Im about to order some refills :)
Seriously, thanks for always taking the time to help out!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, if they do lay eggs once you're in good shape, they will just die so no worries.

Thanks. I figured. Its just Ive never seen anything like this before. We dont usually have many mosquitos at all as it is.
So coming out and working on the pool with 100s of them is disturbing :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.