Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why no CC when testing my green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Why no CC when testing my green pool

My fiberglass pool had some stains when we opened it. I tested the water for CC to determine if it was organic or metal. With a CC of 0, I figured it was metal. I used Stain Free and the next day nearly all the staining was gone. I kept my water balanced for the next week or so, and then the staining returned. Again, I got 0 CC so I figured the metal was back. Well, before I could get some Stain Free, the pool started getting greener and greener. All my testing indicated 0 CC. I applied the Stain Free, and it did virtually nothing. So, despite my test results, I must have algae.

I have started the SLAM process. But, I don't understand why I did not get any CC level. I do get FC levels and have compared its results to the test included in the Basic Taylor kit. I use the TF-100 Testkit. I replenished my R-871, R-870 and R-0003 reagents last summer. Why doesn't the algae cause me to have a CC level?
    Vince L

16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Goldline Sense & Dispense pH control, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why no CC when testing my green pool

It is common for there to be no CC when you have algae. They can be mutually exclusive. That is why there are 3 criteria to end the SLAM process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I found it to be pretty amazing myself------I use to think when algae broke down it absolutely HAD to produce cc.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I am happy to report that after 8 days of slamming, our pool and spa are blue and the water is clear. We bought almost every bottle of 8.25% bleach at our local Aldi's.

I kept the FC at 18-19 and after 2 days, the water finally started to show some improvement. Today was the final step....cleaning the filter cartridges....YUCK, what a disgusting mess. I also pulled the covers off of all the pool lights to get those nasty little green bits out of them.

I'm going to keep the FC a bit higher than normal for awhile just to be sure. I do not want to have to go through this again.

The good news is that it has been sunny and warm. The pool is up to 80.
    Vince L

16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Goldline Sense & Dispense pH control, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Have you done a OLCT yet?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    I found it to be pretty amazing myself------I use to think when algae broke down it absolutely HAD to produce cc.
    The CC an be fleeting. It all depends on the specific chemicals with which chlorine reacts and whether the CC is bound inside an algal cell in which case a CC test likely wouldn't see it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    Have you done a OLCT yet?
    Oh yeah, we're good on that...lost about .5
    Vince L

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Great!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process