Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 years since filter cleaning and SWCG inspection. How does it look?

1. Back To Top    #1

2 years since filter cleaning and SWCG inspection. How does it look?

It has been two years since I cleaned my filter cartridges and SWCG. My pressure just hit the 25% mark. My SWCG has been producing chlorine with no problem. I keep my water balanced year round and never close the pool. I figure since I was so AR about keeping the water balanced using your methods it would payoff with less equipment maintenance. Lets see how that worked out.

Picture of Pool

1.jpg

Filter Pressure

2.jpg

Popped the top of the Filter - Really dirty

3.jpg

Two down, two to go. Will let my son have at the next two. It took about 20 minutes to clean each one.

5.jpg

Lets see how the SWCG faired after all this time.

10.jpg

Wow, It looks brand new inside.

Lessons learned from this.

1 - Clean your filter more often even if you don't reach the 25 % rise in pressure.

2 - Keep your water balanced and your SWCG (and your wallet) will thank you for it.

Cheers,

David
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 years since filter cleaning and SWCG inspection. How does it look?

Pictures added. My mistake!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

3. Back To Top    #3

Excellent post!

I keep my pool open and balanced year round too. I mean, with a good test kit and recommendations found here, it's just so easy to do!

I clean the filters each spring, and each fall. They are big like yours, and they never even get close to the 25%, but I cleean them anyway just because I want to.

My SWG also looks brand new inside it.

Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Great post!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Nice post cgi.nola

filter cleanin dave!
    Cuz you want to? Dude, I have actual dirty filters available for cleaning any old time. I've already had to clean mine three times this spring cuz the trees are bonkers with dropping stuff!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd sure jump in that water!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I wanted to post this to confirm that what is taught on this forum WORKS! I will now clean my filter at least yearly but I love the fact that after nearly three years I have had absolutely no problems. It gives me a great deal of peace of mind to know what I am doing. I learned everything I need to know by reading, and re-reading this forum. A big thank you to everyone who makes this site possible. Swim time!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

If you didnt spend so much time in that hot tub you could clean your filters your own self!

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Nice post cgi.nola

filter cleanin dave!
    Cuz you want to? Dude, I have actual dirty filters available for cleaning any old time. I've already had to clean mine three times this spring cuz the trees are bonkers with dropping stuff!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

LOL! But, the hot tub is so nice!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Awesome! You're spot on with your assessment and I couldn't agree more. With our water now properly balanced, the SWG is performing like it should and the pool is wonderful. (oh, yeah and it helps that my filters are white again )

This is indeed a great forum!
    22k gal - PebbleFina/Plaster - Jandy Stealth 2spd - Jandy CV460 Cartridge - N2 Fusion SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

Pool looks great!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Texassplash,

Thank you. I could not have done it without the help and knowledge of our members. Thanks to all!

13. Back To Top    #13

excellent work. A prime example of TFP success.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

14. Back To Top    #14

If you have trees around that produce a lot of pollen, and if you did not run your pump for 2-3 days, the top of your pool would look like a green swamp. Leaves are pretty conspicuous and are readily removed quickly, or should be. It is the inconspicuous tree pollen, the fine cotton-like floating debris from palms, the dust from wind and when guys cut yards and use blowers, etc. If your pump is on, most of this will bypass the skimmers easily and the pump filter as well [if it not real clogged].

A balanced pool in proper chemical equilibrium will prevent algae from forming and thus being stuck in the filters and darkening them, same w a variety of minerals [ie scale, CA, etc] that are not properly treated/well water w high mineral content, etc. Bottom-line, leaves are never really the issue bc you see them and remove them. It's the particles you do not see and unbalanced pool water that creates havoc on filters. Just monitor your pressure gauges for the 15-20% increase rule and clean at a minimum once per yr and if you want to be proactive under optimal water chemistries and "normal" debris entry, clean them in spring and fall. Another plus is the reduction in pump stress and better uninhibited water flow. One note: Make sure [w cartridge systems] you flush out the bottom real-well and remove all debris & pebbles if you have a pebble-based finish....

Good luck to all and a belated Happy Easter, tstex
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

15. Back To Top    #15

We get a lot of pollen. Sometimes I go out in the morning and our pool tile and polaris hose is yellow. We run our pump daily and year round due to the fact we have a SWCG. Winter is 4 hours a day at 10% swcg runtime. Summer is 8 hours at 60% swcg runtime. While I agree that pollen will bypass the skimmer baskets I dont think it will bypass a cartridge filter, at
    least not mine, unless one of the cartridges has a hole in it.

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes the pollen has been very bad this year, it seems to take a very long time before it's removed from the pool by the filters. I still clean filters two times a year. Right now i'm on a November then May filter cleaning routine. Cleaned the SWCG for the first time in 1 1/2 years and it looked almost brand new inside. I was thinking there would some build up on the plates because my CH hangs around 350, but it was good.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Taking care of your pool always pays off. However you should check your cell more often. I have seen cells that have so much build up in them I am surprised water can still pass and some of these are brand new and under a year old. On the filter I don't trust filter gauges. A lot of them don't work. If you have a VSP YOU WON'T GET A READING ON LOW RPMs. You must only check it a highest RPM. The most tell tale signs are Pump not filing up all the way and if you have a spill over on spa it will slow down. I am a Jandy warranty person and service over a 1000 pools a year. I would never just clean filters just once a year. At least twice a year.