Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PH readings acting strangley

1. Back To Top    #1

PH readings acting strangley

I got a strange thing going on with the PH readings I have been taking for the past week. I just happened to stumble on to it when I tested the water and got a low PH reading around 7.2, I retested with the same sample water in the same bottle and the PH 7.8, because I suspected that it wasnt right. I then tested again and again with same water on got 7.8.
    Now everytime I test my PH the same thing happens. I have tried taking sample water from different locations with the same results. First test 7.0 approx, all tests thereafter 7.8( with same sample water). I am every careful in rinsing the test tube before and after each test. I gather water from as deep as i can. Could it be an issue with the reagent. It's a year old, been keep in the house in the closet(cool location). Never stored in direct sunlight or outside.
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH readings acting strangley

If it was a reagent problem it would be the same every time. You need to look at what is different the first time from every other time.

I wonder, do you rinse the test vial out indoors with tap water? You presumably don't do that each time in a series of tests.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you also rinsing the cap to the vial?

Also, try mixing the reagent by turning it upside down a few times before testing.

4. Back To Top    #4

PH readings acting strangley

I'm using Tapatalk so if your test equipment information is in your signature I can't see it, so I'm sorry if this is already stated, but this sounds eerily familiar with what happened when I used to use a LaMotte ColorQ tester. Would that be the case here? What tester are you using?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes test kit taylor 2006 in signature. Yes i mixed reagent bottle several times before using. And rinsed top also.
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

6. Back To Top    #6

First thing Monday morning i will try new bottle of reagent

7. Back To Top    #7

I rinse with the sample water drawn for testing.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

First thing Monday morning i will try new bottle of reagent
    As JL says above, I can't see how that will help. Bad reagent will be bad on every test.....not just the first one.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Iam almost positive that i prerinse the test tube before putting in sample water. I will test again monday.
    Makes sense now that i think about the bad reagent. It would be bad all the time

10. Back To Top    #10

Tested this morning. Steps as follows. Rinsed sample bottle with sample water. Drew sample. Rinsed test tube with sample water. Shook reagent bottle vigorously applied drops and took reading of 7.6 to 7.8 first test.
    The shaking vigorously is the only difference

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok, good, you could t repeat the different ones as before?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Its odd that i never had a problem the first year and never had to focus on the testing the PH...just test and log results.

13. Back To Top    #13

I would replace the reagent. It seems that, for some reason, the reagent is separating and not staying mixed. That would match your results. The first test mixes the reagent when you turn it upside down.

14. Back To Top    #14

I will probably buy new reagent. Thats cheap insurance yo mak8ng it right

15. Back To Top    #15

update- bought new bottle of R-0004 reagent for PH test. First test w/o shaking up bottle was 7.8, so was second test.
    Conclusion-after a year with the bottle stored in a control temp room, the reagent had started to seperate enough to cause first test out of the bottle to be off by 0.4 to 0.6. Have since thrown out old reagent.

16. Back To Top    #16

Update again- I double checked my PH readings again just to put my mind at ease. I thought this was fixed. Again first test 7.4, second test 7.8 to 8.0

17. Back To Top    #17

How long is it that you get the higher reading on the pH test? And this is with new reagent correct, or no?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

18. Back To Top    #18

I don't understand your first question. And yes new reagent

19. Back To Top    #19

I occasionally get different readings from the first test and a subsequent test. I'm not always sure why this can happen. I would suggest the following:

1) Mix the reagent before testing.
    2) Rinse the test tube and cap before and after each test.
    3) Test twice to ensure accuracy.
    4) Note that the readings can be inaccurate at high chlorine levels.
    5) Try using a speed stir to ensure fast and thorough mixing.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by rmturner54 View Post
    I don't understand your first question. And yes new reagent
    I'm sorry. I meant, how long is it before you run another test and get a new and different reading?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast