Recurrent green algae

Sep 7, 2008
I have had my pool for 8 going on 9 years and have had no issues. In the last 6 months, I have had green algae over and over and over. :grrrr: Leaves don't sit in my pool, I maintain my chemcials and I have shocked more in the last 6 months than since I've owned the pool. The pool store has no answers except for that my water is old so I should replace. I drained my pool, started over with new water - same problem. I purchased the TF-100 test kit hoping that would give me some answers. I've read through a lot of the info, but it starts to get overwhelming. Recommended levels are listed for Vinyl, Plaster or Fiberglass. I have Pebbletech ???????? These are my readings: FC-4 TC-5 pH-7.5 T/A-100 CH-600 CYA-85 If you can help I would be so grateful!!!!!!

Smarter people will be by, but IMO:

Your CYA level is high and your FC level is low for the amount of CYA you have. Without algae, you should be maintaining at 7-10 for FC with CYA of 85. Take a look at the chart in the pool school section for the recommended chlorine/CYA levels. For now, you have combined chlorine of 1 and algae, which means you should shock your pool. At CYA of 85, you will want to bring your chlorine level to 35.

So you need to hit your pool with lots of bleach, run the filter 24/7, and brush thoroughly. Also, make sure you don't use stabilized chlorine, that will only increase your CYA.

The only issue is whether your should do a partial drain first to try to reduce your CYA level before you attack the algae. The professionals here can answer that question.

PebbleTech is plaster, technically pebbles embedded in plaster. You treat it the same as you would any other plaster surface, though normally it will last much longer.

Lowering your CYA level would make everything easier, though it isn't essential. More important is figuring out how your CYA level got so high this quickly after refilling. Trichlor pucks and dichlor granular shock both add CYA. If you don't stop using whatever it is that is raising your CYA level you will continue having problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.