Temp of return jet water low - is heat pump not working?

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
The answer to this question may be that everything is fine, and I just don't understand the detailed workings of how a heat pump heats, but is about a 5 degree difference in pool water vs return jet water temp typical, or could something be wrong with my heat pump? I just fired it up today; first time this season to be sure all is well. Water temp is about 55 or so. Water temp out of the returns is about 60. I recall last summer, feeling nice warm water coming out of the jets, but granted the pool was a lot warmer...does it only pump out water about 5 degrees warmer than the pool? Air temp right now is 72.

I see no error codes, and it looks like it's working just fine...so really not sure.

Thanks.

Thanks guys. I do think it's ok now, just wasn't sure. So you put in 55 degree water, you get 60 degree. You put in 60, you get 65, 70 in, 75 out. That seems to be the deal then right?

One thing though is man you can you feel cool air coming off the fan on the HP...wow.

To me that sounds like you may not have enough water flow through the heatpump, as that may be TOO MUCH increase on a single pass for most efficient operation, check your owners manual though, it should tell you this stuff. The idea with any heat transfer is to heat as much water as little as possible so you don't waste energy making water hot, just to let it cool down. In other words it is generally better to heat 100 gallons of water 1 degree per pass than 1 gallon of water 100 degrees.

The whole setup is 2" pipe, as called for by the heat pump, with a properly sized pump given distance, head loss, etc. I could be off a bit on the temp swing, it could have been 3, maybe 4. It was hard to hold the thermometer steady enough to get a solid reading. Interesting question though, and I'll look it up. One thing I can say is that I'm amazed at how cheap it is to run the HP.

My heat pump indicates the flow can be as low as 30gpm. Is there any data on what the most efficient flow rate should be for a heat pump pro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My heat pump indicates the flow can be as low as 30gpm. Is there any data on what the most efficient flow rate should be for a heat pump pro?

Typically heat exchangers will be more efficient the higher the flow rate. It's easier to heat more water a little than less water a lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.