Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Temp of return jet water low - is heat pump not working?

1. Back To Top    #1

Temp of return jet water low - is heat pump not working?

The answer to this question may be that everything is fine, and I just don't understand the detailed workings of how a heat pump heats, but is about a 5 degree difference in pool water vs return jet water temp typical, or could something be wrong with my heat pump? I just fired it up today; first time this season to be sure all is well. Water temp is about 55 or so. Water temp out of the returns is about 60. I recall last summer, feeling nice warm water coming out of the jets, but granted the pool was a lot warmer...does it only pump out water about 5 degrees warmer than the pool? Air temp right now is 72.

I see no error codes, and it looks like it's working just fine...so really not sure.

Thanks.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Temp of return jet water low - is heat pump not working?

I believe in general that's how heat pumps work. They gradually heat air/water.

I haven't had a pool heat pump, but a house heat pump only produces slightly warmer air.

3. Back To Top    #3

In a single pass through the heat pump the water only gains a couple of degrees. You keep doing that and the temperature will go up quite a bit, but it takes a while.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. I do think it's ok now, just wasn't sure. So you put in 55 degree water, you get 60 degree. You put in 60, you get 65, 70 in, 75 out. That seems to be the deal then right?

One thing though is man you can you feel cool air coming off the fan on the HP...wow.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

5. Back To Top    #5

To me that sounds like you may not have enough water flow through the heatpump, as that may be TOO MUCH increase on a single pass for most efficient operation, check your owners manual though, it should tell you this stuff. The idea with any heat transfer is to heat as much water as little as possible so you don't waste energy making water hot, just to let it cool down. In other words it is generally better to heat 100 gallons of water 1 degree per pass than 1 gallon of water 100 degrees.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

The whole setup is 2" pipe, as called for by the heat pump, with a properly sized pump given distance, head loss, etc. I could be off a bit on the temp swing, it could have been 3, maybe 4. It was hard to hold the thermometer steady enough to get a solid reading. Interesting question though, and I'll look it up. One thing I can say is that I'm amazed at how cheap it is to run the HP.

7. Back To Top    #7

5 degrees is quite good. I saw only a 2-3 when I had a heat pump. I can't say I ever tried to heat 55 degree water though.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

LOL. I hear ya crabboy. It was more to test it out and make sure all was well. My wife reports water temp is up to 66 right now...

9. Back To Top    #9

My heat pump indicates the flow can be as low as 30gpm. Is there any data on what the most efficient flow rate should be for a heat pump pro?

2008 23K IG Liner, Pentair intellipump vf, 48DE filter, Heatpump, SWC, aquabot turbo T, K2006 Testkit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jhirsch1 View Post
    My heat pump indicates the flow can be as low as 30gpm. Is there any data on what the most efficient flow rate should be for a heat pump pro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Typically heat exchangers will be more efficient the higher the flow rate. It's easier to heat more water a little than less water a lot.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Searched the Hayward website. According to them "Hayward heat pumps have a flow rate range of 30 to 70 GPM, with an optimum flow rate of 45 GPM." Good to know.
    2008 23K IG Liner, Pentair intellipump vf, 48DE filter, Heatpump, SWC, aquabot turbo T, K2006 Testkit