Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where should I pour my CH and MA? My return jet is very weak.

1. Back To Top    #1

Where should I pour my CH and MA? My return jet is very weak.

Hello!

I have just recently adopted the TFP method this past month. Thank you for the help! All the forums say you should pour your chemicals in front of a return jet in order to mix them all in. I only have one, and it is in the shallow end next to the skimmer over the lagoon step (18 inches deep). I've been confused because every time I put my hand over the jet, I can't feel anything. There is definitely no jet of water. I have felt it when the pump is on high and low. I even put some food coloring in front of it and it didn't do anything. Does it not work maybe because all the water is getting blown back in via the in floor cleaning jets? That would be my best guess. In that case, how would I go about adding my chemicals? I have just been slowly pouring them into the deep end, then brushing the sides and floor afterward. I don't want to damage my pool in any way -- is there something I should be doing? Should I be diluting too?

Thanks again!
    17, 044 gallon in ground pebble tec pool/Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter/Q 360 in floor cleaning system with 15 heads/Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed pump: 3.2 kw 16 amp/constructed in June 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Where should I pour my CH and MA? My return jet is very weak.

Have you cleaned your cartrige on your filter?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, we have cleaned it. We have cleaned it twice this year, with the latest time just about 3 weeks ago. The in floor cleaning produce pretty good "jets".
    17, 044 gallon in ground pebble tec pool/Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter/Q 360 in floor cleaning system with 15 heads/Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed pump: 3.2 kw 16 amp/constructed in June 2014

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I am not sure on the water return flow then. Usually it is due to a dirty filter. I am sure someone will be along shortly that may have other ideas.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

In-floor systems often send all of the water to the in-floor jets, so they can be as effective as possible.

Since you have some kind of return jet in the shallow area, there might be a valve somewhere that turns it on, or it could just be leftover from some previous setup that was subsequently disconnected.

Your alternative approach to adding chemicals is fairly good, but might not be quite enough for muriatic acid. I suggest pre-diluting muriatic acid in a bucket first, and then adding it as you describe.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

If I can get the jet turned on somehow, would you recommend that as the best option even though it is over the shallow step?

7. Back To Top    #7

I wouldn't. I would prefer to go the diluted method Jason suggests, and pour it in slowly in a deeper part of the pool. Additionally, you could do a little brushing in that area to move the water around for any that settles near/on the bottom.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

I was thinking there may be a valve you need to manually turn to switch the flow to the return jet - i turn mine to switch from the spa jets to the pool jets when i add chemicals, but its odd that there's just one so that kind of doesnt seem like the solution.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

9. Back To Top    #9

Would you also dilute the chlorine?

10. Back To Top    #10

You can just pour the chlorine in and brush,it as you've been doing.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

No, I wouldn't dilute the Chlorine in this pool. If it were Vinyl lined I probably would.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Thank you!