Why would my "running pressure" jump up 5 PSI ?

May 10, 2009
Youngsville NC
Ever since I installed the current pump, my usual steady state pressure on my filter had been 16.5 - 17 PSI (going up as the filter gets dirty- I flush it at 25% higher than starting). I replaced last years Nature2 Express cartridge with this year's and all of a sudden now I showing 21 PSi instead of 17. I even put in a new guage - still showing 21 PSI. All plumbing is 1.5 inch, and yes, I know my pump seems a little large - it replaced a 1.5 HP Superpump when it rotted out..

Any ideas where to start ?

I can replace the Superflo with a 30+ year old Hayward 3/4 HP Powerflo II that came with the house as a tub pump. I've used the Powerflo inbetween the Superpump going out and the Superflo going in, so I know it can handle the job.

Yes I'm quite well aware of the Nature2 and how it works. My metals are quite low, and I run low chlorine (due to many trees - as of right now my pool temp is still only 59 F - and the pool has been open for a month). I don't even need to use any more stabilizer than comes in the standard 3 inch tablets. I really want to put in a heatpump. - Like I said my problem is the jump in running filter pressure from 17 to 21. and I had considered the idea it was the new cartridge.

Next time you might want to hang on to one just in case you need to pull the good one for any reason you can always toss an old one in to run the pump.

Is there any chance something is stuck in the new one or it came with something protecting the grids that was supposed to be removed before install ??
I don't have one so I'm just shooting in the dark.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.