Early 70's pool restoration DYI

I am just starting the process of restoring my pool. I plan on doing all the work myself but could use input from anyone who has gone through this. Like I said, I am doing the work myself so don't give advice of "hire a contractor" I am a contractor.....just not for pools and many people on here have taken on work themselves who are not pool experts.

With that said......here are the first pictures I have taken after I drained the pool.

Attachments

• Pool start.jpg
    Pool start.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 372
  • Pool side start.jpg
    Pool side start.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 365
  • Pool stairs start.jpg
    Pool stairs start.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 365
Good luck with your project. I'm in the exact same boat you are in. If you are resolute in repairing the pool yourself, you've come to the right place, but also seek out as much reading as possible from various sources. Also find ways to have conversations with local pool builders to gain valuable tips. Pool construction and repair does involve special knowledge. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it yourself, just be thorough in your research. A mistake in the wrong place can add exponential costs in repairing it later, as well as losing use time.

Up to now, I've done all the steps on my project myself. There are some areas I would like to contract out, but many pool contractors hesitate to get involved with a DIY project because they fear they will have to deal with too much liability later because so many of the steps in repair crossover their work and they don't want to take on liability from DIYer's work. So be aware that you may be stuck doing most or all of the pool, even in areas you are not familiar. That is fine if you have the time and energy to research your needed work before attempting.

I heavily advise not trying to plaster your own pool unless you have a lot of experience plastering and have the proper equipment. This is a lot of work and very easy to screw up yourself. I learned this lesson (luckily) by watching another construction contractor plaster a pool himself and then later he had to bring in a pool plaster company and have it redone. A very expensive lesson on his part.

I'll try to keep an eye on your project here and might throw in my novice 2 cents on occasion. I've been following this forum for quite some time now to improve my knowledge and have come to respect most of the opinions posted in here as sound knowledge.

Good luck with this! From observing my remodel I would think that you should be able to handle most of the reno yourself, especially if you are a contractor. Only thing, you might consider having done, I would think, would be the replaster. My PB stressed to me that that was the one thing he didn't do was his own plaster. He said those guys do that stuff every day and are really good at it and he had a couple of plaster crews he contracts out to do his stuff.

Does anyone know what I need to do to add more pictures? It is saying I am over my limit already.

- - - Updated - - -

many people on here have taken on work themselves who are not pool experts.

I don't understand what you mean.

All I was trying to say is that there are many people who have taken on their own projects and were not experts in the field, but still got the job done.

Re: DIY Pool restoration project

Thanks!
I healed up pretty fast, but carried a tube of neosporin in my pocket a few days, catching up on sleep and floating in the water have helped the muscles sooo much.

No problems so far, its taking a lot of acid to get the chemestry ballanced. Doing daily tests and adding chlor/acid, but I think its leveling out now, and I imagine every pool takes a bit to start up.

I have been a bit paranoid watching for leaks, but no sign of trouble yet.

I'm loving the dark plaster! Seems like its managing to keep the water pretty warm on it's own. I don't have a thermometer yet, but it still feels warm to the touch when I get home from work at night :)

-b

OK....I have a question.....can you plaster over the old plaster without chiseling out several areas? I have seen some videos where they chisel most of the old plaster off. Is there somewhere I can get info on this for my project?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's best to chip out all the plaster. That said, they often do it over the old stuff where there are no apparent laminations. But there's always that risk. I know you don't want me to say it, but doing the plaster yourself is not adviseable.

Take a look at our massive repairs that started a few days ago. We are doing more of a repair than redo.

I can't imagine not getting off the loose plaster first. Rent a 3500psi pressure washer and go at it. Ours nearly peeled off.
Id also suggest you sand down the edges of what didn't lift. It's not that difficult.

If it was my re-do, I think I would demand a full chip out, but many, many go right over the old stuff. One of our experts had a 50's pool that was redone in the 80's he had refinished last year. They did exactly that. Chipped out lamination areas, and left the rest. It may be fine for 15-20 years, but who knows?

If it was my re-do, I think I would demand a full chip out, but many, many go right over the old stuff. One of our experts had a 50's pool that was redone in the 80's he had refinished last year. They did exactly that. Chipped out lamination areas, and left the rest. It may be fine for 15-20 years, but who knows?

I have already gone over the whole thing with a 3500psi power sprayer. All the loose stuff is gone.

I understand that doing this type of work is an art....but I am a contractor who has done MANY skim coats with drywall compound. I know it's not exactly the same but it is a skill I have developed and confident with.

I have already gone over the whole thing with a 3500psi power sprayer. All the loose stuff is gone.

I understand that doing this type of work is an art....but I am a contractor who has done MANY skim coats with drywall compound. I know it's not exactly the same but it is a skill I have developed and confident with.

Not suggesting you can't do it the "standard" way, but have you seen the roll-on plaster? I suspect that's what we'll do a few years from now.

Are you wanting to replaster the entire pool, or just the parts that need to be, and then paint?

Ok, Good luck with your project. :goodjob:

Not suggesting you can't do it the "standard" way, but have you seen the roll-on plaster? I suspect that's what we'll do a few years from now.

Are you wanting to replaster the entire pool, or just the parts that need to be, and then paint?

Well, We just got back from our trip to Cuba (remember, I am in Canada) and I am back at it. I have decided I want to do this right, so I am back again with the rotary hammer and I am chiseling back the old plaster. I had consulted with a retired concrete pool guy and he said you don't have to chisel back every ounce of plaster, but enough of it to get back to the concrete for the plaster to get a good bond. He said that while he would always say to get a professional (to boost his sales....LOL) it is still something that can be taken on by the DYI-er. Just make sure to have lots of help when plastering. Done right, it should last 15 -20 years or more.

More pictures to come as soon as I figure out why everyone else is able to post tons of pictures but I can't (any advice from the MODs would be helpful)

Post back soon......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.