Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How "clean" should my cartridge filters look?

1. Back To Top    #1

How "clean" should my cartridge filters look?

I've got 2 sets and had the pool for 3 seasons (bought the 2nd set after a year with the 1st set).

Even after I've cleaned them and watched what looks like a pound or two of gray junk get washed out of them, they stay gray. I just finished an overnight soak in TSP (1 cup/5 gallons) and rinsed them out and they're *still* gray.

Yet, they seemed to be doing fine last year and my pool was crystal clear all season.

Am I still not cleaning them enough? How can I tell if they need replacing?

Is it a good test to fire up the pump at full blast without them, get the pressure, then fire up the pump with them and see what the increase is?

BTW - sorry I'm a constant flurry of questions lately...did I mention I'm opening my pool myself for the first time?
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How "clean" should my cartridge filters look?

Cartridges often turn gray or brown after a few years. It doesn't really mean anything.

The real test is watching what the clean cartridge filter pressure does. As long as that goes back to somewhere around what they were when new you are fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, mine are discolored too. Next time you buy a new set try some Pleatcos. They seem to clog less, clean easier, last longer, flow more and keep the pool just as clean.

Here is a link that goes more in depth on cleaning.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...rtridge-filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

The extra set I got are pleatco. Pressure was the same with and without the filters at max speed on the pump so I figure the filters are fine.

Thanks guys!
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4