Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Um...what the heck is this plug??

1. Back To Top    #1

Um...what the heck is this plug??

Had a company close for me last winter and opened up my pump and found this plug. Have *no* idea what the heck it is or where it goes! The threads are the same size as the return openings, but this was in the pump basket in the pump.

Help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Um...what the heck is this plug??

That looks like a filter drain plug to me, though I can't be certain.

If you can't figure out where it goes, water will spray out from the correct spot as soon as you turn on the pump. So one way or another you will be able to figure it out eventually.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

And that *is* the common sense way of looking at it!!!

Thanks Jason. Makes perfect sense now!
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

4. Back To Top    #4

That looks exactly like the drain plug on my Pentair cartridge filter. I like Jason's approach! Much more exciting!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

It's a Pentair filter drain plug. Sometimes the drain hole is difficult to get to and not obvious.

6. Back To Top    #6

That's right it is hidden under the plumbing down at the bottom. A bit of a pain to get to and get the threads started.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep. You guys were right about all of it! Pentair filter drain plug, not obvious, and a pain to get the threads started!! But it's in and sealed tight now.

Incidentally, Jason's approach worked perfectly with a different plug in the system that I didn't even know was out! It was indeed quite exciting, although would have been moreso if I had been standing in front of that plug when the water came out in a hose-like stream! Ah, the adventure of owning a pool!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by doncaruana View Post
    Yep. You guys were right about all of it! Pentair filter drain plug, not obvious, and a pain to get the threads started!! But it's in and sealed tight now.

Incidentally, Jason's approach worked perfectly with a different plug in the system that I didn't even know was out! It was indeed quite exciting, although would have been moreso if I had been standing in front of that plug when the water came out in a hose-like stream! Ah, the adventure of owning a pool!
    We need photos.....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah, but if only I had a camera rolling when that stream came out and almost nailed my neighbor who ha come over to talk to me!!