Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I want the most economical heating method

1. Back To Top    #1

I want the most economical heating method

This topic really interests me. In Savannah with a solar blanket our swim season runs from April through mid October. Last year we were able to go late October. I want the most economical heating method to increase our season by 2 to 3 months. Given my region which is subtropical, does anyone have a suggestion as to which direction I should pursue? Is it even worth the investment to gain 2 to 3 months?
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Electric or Gas for pool heater

Defgufman, How much actual use you expect in the "added season", warm pool-chilly air is different. But then I guess I'm a wuss as I like 85 degree water
    18' x 38' 20,500 gallon vinyl IGP, 3.5 - 7' depth, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    2hp Whisperflo high performance pump, 1.1hp boost-rite pump for the cleaner,
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator
    Speedstir, K-1776, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Electric or Gas for pool heater

I like 85 also. We dropped below 80 late October and that's when I shut it down for the season. The water stayed in the 70s in Nov and 60s in Dec so I would have to warm it 10 to 20 degrees. We were back at 80 on Saint Patrick's so I'm guessing 10 degrees in March. Jan and Feb are too cold.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: I want the most economical heating method

The most economical approach is solar panels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School