Heater leaking

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey guys,

So my heater is leaking from the "hose port"... Im calling it that because I cant think of anything else to call it and it looks like a hose would connect to it :)

Its a pretty fast leak. No matter how much I tighten the bolt to the right of it, I can not stop or slow down the leak. The heater seems to work fine. Is there a way to cap this off and if so, would it cause any problems if I do? Thanks a million!

Pic below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ud9bwwny42gkht5/file may 03, 8 03 20 am.jpeg?dl=0

That's called a hose "bib". Why, I have no idea.....sounds stupids.

For less than $10 at any hardware store, you should be able to unscrew it right where it goes into the heater protrusion and replace it with a new one (the new one will even have a handle). Put a few wraps of teflon tape on it or some pipe sealant and enjoy your swim season.

You could also just pick up the rubber faucet washer part for cheap at a hardware or big box store.

Attachments

• faucet gasket.JPG
    faucet gasket.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 26
Actually that shouldn't be on your heater at all. I'm sure that it's used for draining the unit for winter but a hose bib isn't really the best thing to be used. A proper plug is a better choice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.