Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater leaking

Hey guys,

So my heater is leaking from the "hose port"... Im calling it that because I cant think of anything else to call it and it looks like a hose would connect to it

Its a pretty fast leak. No matter how much I tighten the bolt to the right of it, I can not stop or slow down the leak. The heater seems to work fine. Is there a way to cap this off and if so, would it cause any problems if I do? Thanks a million!

Pic below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ud9bwwny42...20am.jpeg?dl=0
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Heater leaking

That's called a hose "bib". Why, I have no idea.....sounds stupids.

For less than $10 at any hardware store, you should be able to unscrew it right where it goes into the heater protrusion and replace it with a new one (the new one will even have a handle). Put a few wraps of teflon tape on it or some pipe sealant and enjoy your swim season.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome! OTW there now. Thanks a lot!!!
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

You could also just pick up the rubber faucet washer part for cheap at a hardware or big box store.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. I actually grabbed a hose cap for about $1.50 and capped it off.
    Ill switch out the entire thing soon. Really appreciate the help!!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Actually that shouldn't be on your heater at all. I'm sure that it's used for draining the unit for winter but a hose bib isn't really the best thing to be used. A proper plug is a better choice.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,