How much shock should you add for the first time.

I am brand new to this site and have read as much as I can. We just opened the pool and have run the filter overnight. The cc is at 0 which I know is normal. I believe the next step is to add shock. How do you know how much to add and how long should we wait before testing the other chemicals?
Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

When you say shock, most of us here think of the process of "shocking" a pool. Most here use liquid chlorine, sodium hypochlorite, otherwise known as bleach.

Can you post a full set of test results? We can go from there for any advice needed.

With a SWG, do you already have your salt at the correct level and also cya at 70 to 80? If so, add enough plain old beach to bring FC to 4 or 5 so your SWG can take over without much strain. A gallon and a half should do you. That PH needs to crawl into the 7.4ish range as well. You list no reading for your TA level. Welcome to the forum and enjoy pool school.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorine is always #1 and PH is #2. Everything else can be worked more slowly and managed as you go.

The Chlorine CYA Chart tells you what the min FC level is for your CYA level. Never let the FC level fall below the min or algae will start to grow. Keep PH between 7.5 and 7.8. Everything else can be managed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.