Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SALT... too high... too low...?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question SALT... too high... too low...?

help, i opened my pool and after the slam everything was going well. then a few days ago my swg red light said that my salt level is low. I was surprised to see that so i tested my salt levels (aqua check strips) and my salt was around 3200 ppm which is a little lower than ideal so I added the recommended salt and today my swg red light is still on but when i tested again it showed 3790 ppm! what am i missing? yesterday's test results:
    FC=2
    cc=0
    pH=7.5
    ta=80
    ch=75
    cya=80

Any thoughts as to what my next step should be? i checked my cell in the fall when closing the pool and it was clean as a whistle. should i check it again?
    Grecian 11,800 gal. IG vinyl, Pentair TA-60 sand filter, 1.5 hp Superflo, built in 2007, replaced vinyl & converted to Intellichlor IC-40 SWG in 2012 after we purchased home. TF-100 Testkit, SWG manufacturer recommends salt levels 2600-4500, ideal being 3400-3500. Polaris 180 vac.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SALT... too high... too low...?

Takes about 24 hours to get a good reading on a new salt addition being circulated well. How old is the cell?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Or longer if the pump isn't running or you don't brush to mix it in. And test strip accuracy is +/- 400 or 500. If the SWG is happy everyone is happy.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

From your results it looks like your below minimum on your FC for a CYA of 80. Should maintain a minimum of 4 per the chart http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

Wouldn't hurt to check the cell to make sure it's still clean.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Takes about 24 hours to get a good reading on a new salt addition being circulated well. How old is the cell?
    it had been at least 24 hours circulating after adding salt. the cell is 3 yrs old.

thanks for your response and any help or advice you provide!

Grecian 11,800 gal. IG vinyl, Pentair TA-60 sand filter, 1.5 hp Superflo, built in 2007, replaced vinyl & converted to Intellichlor IC-40 SWG in 2012 after we purchased home. TF-100 Testkit, SWG manufacturer recommends salt levels 2600-4500, ideal being 3400-3500. Polaris 180 vac.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Or longer if the pump isn't running or you don't brush to mix it in. And test strip accuracy is +/- 400 or 500. If the SWG is happy everyone is happy.
    I've always believed that but my numbers have never been so far off before!

pump is running and i brushed, too.

i hit the SWG boost for 24 hr on 100% run and have it set at 60%. my pump is running 24/7 since opening because my digital display is not readable (gotta do something about that too)

7. Back To Top    #7

i agree about fc which is why i did the 24 hr boost on swg. in the past it usually did the trick.

i am out of town, left yesterday and back tomorrow. i'll recheck my numbers when i get home and post again. i'll check the cell too! thanks for your help!