White flakes on top of water

May 2, 2015
Columbia/SC
Hi,

I am starting a new intex 14x42 ultra frame with a intex 1200 gph sand filter pump and the intex swg. I have been running the system for a week now after adding salt and I have these white flakes on top of the water for the past 3 days. Otherwise the water is crystal clear. Today I added one pound of cyanuric acid since I did not do it last week at startup. I have ordered a Taylor k2006 so I can test all of the other stuff in the water but I need help about the white flakes. My pool holds 4047 gallons of water and I added 100 lbs of salt at start up. I will be installing a Hayward thru wall skimmer soon to help with floating bugs and stuff but these white flakes are driving me crazy. Help please.

I would guess that it's pollen. My pool is covered in them as well, it is most noticeable when the pump is off. Skimmers manage to keep the top clean when the pump is on. I am skimming about 4800 GPH, with probably less surface area than you have.

Hi all,

I just updated my signature as suggested. Thanks for the advice! I'm looking foward to the valuable advice the I can get from this forum. The white flakes being pollen is possible since this is high pollen season in SC. I have heard of scale issues on pools but how I can tell the difference between pollen and scales? As soon as my test kit comes in I will test and post results. Also I have a Hayward thru wall skimmer coming in. Any advice on how to install that? Do I really need to lower water level to install?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll get picture this morning and send soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Test post to see if signature shows.

Adding grandma extra large knee high nylons to my skimmer basket and Polaris bag solved my pollen issues quickly here in Georgia. Just check the basket often, those socks fill quickly during pollen season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pretty sure that is pollen..... you aren't that far from me and we are still getting huge amounts of pollen. A skimmer sock, as recommended, will help a LOT. Another dead giveaway is that when you brush the bottom of the pool yellow powder swirls..... and it is likely all of your worldly good kept outside are powdered yellow...:roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.