Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much free chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much free chlorine

Hello, I hired someone to open my pool this year because I was just too busy. I'm not sure what all was added during the initial shock. I can tell you it is sparkling clean! Unfortunately, the free chlorine is off the charts. In my test, it is turning a burnt orange color instead of yellow, so I can't even tell how high.
    CYA is low - 20
    TA - 40
    PH - 6.8

Total chlorine is also off the charts.

We have an auto cover, and I have left covered on cloudy / rainy days. Kept it open and rad waterfalls on sunny days. I've also added a couple inches of water. Thoughts? It has been over a week, and I'm afraid to swim and turn on the heater with it so high....
    13,000 gal, IG vinyl, Jandy CV 340 cartridge filter, Jandy 1.5 FloPro pump, inline auto chlorinator, Legacy LRZM heater, Jandy waterfall pump, Automatic pool cover. Hot Springs Spa ~ Flair 326 gal with Ace Salt Water System.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much free chlorine

You definitely want to bring that FC level down. With the CYA down around 20 it should only take a day with the cover open for the chlorine level to fall to something much more reasonable.

You need to adjust the PH. The common PH test will report any PH below 6.8 as 6.8, so your actual PH might be much lower. Very low PH can damage the pool, depending on just how low it actually is. Unfortunately you can't do that until after the FC level comes down below 10, because the PH test is not reliable when FC is as high as it is now. Once FC comes down a bit, retest the PH level and adjust PH up to at least 7.2. Most likely that will also raise the TA up to something more reasonable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

To add to the above advice I would suggest you invest in a real pool test kit, that gives you actual values above just "burnt orange". The one most often used around here is the TF-100, available via the link in my signature line. It's one way in particular to maintain a safe pool. It will tell you up to 50 ppm how much chlorine you have in there, as well as if you have any contaminates to be concerned about.
    Keep the autocover open a few days and let the sun work its magic on the high chlorine, but do your own testing for reassurance.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Good advice so far. Did you test the CYA, or a pool store?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

More info on test kits here, Test Kit Comparison

tftestkits.net will gladly send you one.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Four gallons of 10% would raise your pool by 31 ppm, which might be exceeding your FC test limits. Four gallons of shock on opening is a common tactic by pool store crews where I am. On closings they like to use up the old stuff, and you end up being too low. If your CYA is really 20ppm that extra 31 should be gone in a few days in the sun.

How did you get the 20 ppm CYA number? If you got that from a pool store, your CYA is likely much higher, which is what I suspect. The higher your CYA, the longer it will hold the FC in cloudy weather, even though the FC may not be high enough for level of CYA.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

7. Back To Top    #7

I totally forgot about the rest of my TF100. I was only using the quick Taylor kit that I used to maintain the spa over the winter. The CYO reading was from a test strip. So a retest of the numbers this AM-
    FC - 22
    CC - 0
    CYO - 45
    pH - the same at 6.8

It's another sunny day. Pool's been uncovered since 7am. Running the fountains. I guess I will wait and see what another day does.
    13,000 gal, IG vinyl, Jandy CV 340 cartridge filter, Jandy 1.5 FloPro pump, inline auto chlorinator, Legacy LRZM heater, Jandy waterfall pump, Automatic pool cover. Hot Springs Spa ~ Flair 326 gal with Ace Salt Water System.