Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dull Water and Hard Water Buildup

1. Back To Top    #1

Sacramento, CA

Dull Water and Hard Water Buildup

Chlorine and ph are good. Water seems dull. I'm very sensitive to the clarity of the water and I know when something is off. We added a flocculant since we had a lot of debris from some landscaping work and it is better but not where it should be. Also, we have lots of had water build up. Any suggestions?
    Approx. 20,000 gallon In Ground pool/spa combo, Pebbletec Finish, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter., Intellitouch system, Hayward heater (and that's about all I know for now)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Dull Water and Hard Water Buildup

Stop using floculant would be my first suggestion.

You say FC & pH are good, but wat is good? What is your CYA.

Dull,water is usually the first hint that algae is rearing its ugly head.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Dull Water and Hard Water Buildup

Flocculant often does more harm than good. Your filter and pump should be perfectly capable of keeping your pool crystal clear.

That said, if you FC is too low for the CYA level, you can easily have algae that will make your water dull. Posting up a complete set of current test results would probably be very helpful.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School