Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to raise FC

1. Back To Top    #1

Palm Desert, CA

Best way to raise FC

The last few weeks has seen my FC drop. Last week was 4 and today is 3 (CYA is 50). My salt is reading 2900 with a 50% output. Should I raise the output to 70% and check again in a few days or go ahead and shock the pool now?. I have some Fresh and Clear Oxidizing Shock and some trichlor tablets. Also, how long after adding acid can I try to raise the chlorine? Thank you!
    17,000 gallon inground pool; Plaster redone January 2015; Pentair Cartridge Filter; SWG; Age of pool unknown (house built in 1973); Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Best way to raise FC

If the water is otherwise clear, I'd just crank up the SWG. As temperatures rise and there's more hours of daylight, chlorine demand goes up. And if anyone's using the pool, it will go up more. So raise the SWG percentage or increase the filter time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

With a SWG it is recommended to keep CYA around 70 to 80. That will allow you to run the SWG at a lower percentage setting.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

How does your water look? What are you using to test with?

If it were my pool, I'd toss in about 2 ppm of regular household bleach (using PoolMath calculator to determine how much that is in the pool) and recheck in a day to see how much you're losing. Does your SWG require more salt than its got to work with? Mine needs more than the 2900 you've got.
    If you're looking to raise your CYA you can use those pucks, but cautiously. Once you add CYA, if you get too much, you're stuck with it until you drain and exchange some water for fresh water. Each puck contains some. Again, down at the bottom of PoolMath it can tell you the effects of adding x amount of chemical.

At least 30 min between acid and other chems
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter