Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flagstone Coping

1. Back To Top    #1
    Los Angeles

Flagstone Coping

I'm still on the fence on which coping style I want for my pool. My contract includes flagstone coping, my PB gave me a sample of "Red Mountain" and "Bouquet Canyon" flagstone to check out. Any thoughts on the quality of these stones? I have concerns that the coping edge will be sharp and uncomfortable to lean on, especially in the spa. Do builders/installers normally smooth out the edge of flagstone coping? For those with flagstone, do you guys have any regrets and or issues with it being uncomfortable? Thanks all!
    30 x 20 IG Play Pool + 7' Spa ~16K Gallons, French Gray Plaster, Pentair Intelliflow VS, Pentair CCP420, Pentair MasterTemp 400K Heater, Intellibrite LEDs.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Flagstone Coping

The edge facing the water is normally rounded off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Leesburg, Va

Our neighbors have a Pennsylvania Blue Stone (it is a regional stone ) with straight edges. Our children did not like the straight edges. We got a quote for it with the rounding, we also have a reverse beam so we have 42 feet of double bull nose. (Because of the way this wall is we are using 16 inch deep stone and 2 inch thick which costs more as well) The cost was too much for what we planned to pay.
    The flagstone look fits our area, we like the look.
    Another stone was great( Silver Lake), came with one edge bull nosed. Discontinued.. They do have different ways of putting the rounding on the stones, some are heat applied and chipped, other's are more refined edges. Check how it is done because it impacts appearance and feel.
    Ultimately ask the PB how much it would cost and what it would look and feel like.
    After all our effort we think we wind up going with a Travertine. But we learned a lot getting to this decision.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Our flagstone coping is chiseled. I never noticed any issues with sharpness. And we've had plenty of kids scampering around like ants and I don't recall any complaints in 3 years.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach