opened my pool a little late i guess

Jul 2, 2014
Hudson, wi
I opened my pool today and it looks terrible. First off I am guessing that the tarp that used as a winter cover leaks so the on top of water got into the pool some. I have a lot of trees so the water on top was brown as well as the water in the pool :( I have the hose filling it up and got the pump going as soon as I could off the bottom drain. The water smells terrible and is full of bugs including water spiders, I poured in 6 gallons of 12.5% and now that I look at pool math it appears this was way too much. Will this harm anything or will all the organics in the pool eat the chlorine fast enough? We bought the house last summer and this is my first time opening the pool. I wanted to get the bleach in asap so I can try and keep it up there this weekend as much as possible.

If the water looks swampy, there's a good chance the CYA decomposed into Ammonia, which will go through bleach almost as fast as you can pour it in. We'd have a better idea if you had test results so we could see what happens to the FC and CC readings. A test kit is essential to maintain your pool, and critical if you want to eradicate the algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.