TA and pH Drift Questions

epro05

Bronze Supporter
Jun 5, 2014
Keller, Texas
I've been using the TFP method since last year with great results. Thank You.

When I started TFP, my TA was 100 ppm but is now down to 60 ppm, due to aeration/acid addition cycles. I thought as my TA became lower, that I would reach a point where pH would be stable and quit rising (the happy point). But at TA of 60 ppm I still see my pH rising to 8 over a weeks time, and have to add acid about once a week to bring it down. When I do add acid, I usually bring pH down from 8 to 7.2, which lowers TA a bit more. So I expect my TA to continue dropping.

Questions:

1. As my TA continues to get lower, due to aeration/acid cycles, will I get to a sufficiently low TA, such that pH won't rise any more (even with aeration continuing)?

2. My TA is at 60 now. If it keeps dropping, at what point do I need to start adding baking soda to increase it?

3. Is there an "unhealthy" low point of TA? Or would something lower than 60 ppm be OK as long as I make sure CSI is in the OK zone.

Here is a picture of my aeration. Currently, any time my pump is running the lions heads and spa fountain are operating as in the picture. I only run the pump an hour or two each day.

P1030062%20Reduced%20Size_zpsn8zmv7wt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1) Yes, if you could let TA get low enough the PH would stop going up. Unfortunately, you may not be able to allow TA to go low enough.
2&3) With borates in the water you can let TA go down to 40. Without borates you should not let it go below 60.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.