Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rust Removal

1. Back To Top    #1

Rust Removal

Does anyone know what chemical I could use to get this rust stain off my skimmer plate? Obviously I don't want to use a chemical that's going to screw with my water chemistry. Thanks! Would some ascorbic acid do the trick?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpt37huczw...20PM.jpeg?dl=0
    1.) 27,000 gallons
    2.) Sand Filter
    3.) In-ground
    4.) Vinyl Liner
    5.) 1HP/63GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rust Removal

Naval jelly?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

You could also try white vinegar. I have used it to remove rust stains from concrete. Use a brush to scrub it with the vinegar.
    26,000, 16x36 vinyl IG, Sand Dollar Sand Filter, 1 HP pump, Installed June 2010, Jandy Aquapure Ei

4. Back To Top    #4

I would just mash up a bunch of Vitamin C tablets and make a paste and smear it on. I lifted some rust spots off the plastic patio table that way.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I would also remove that screw and replace it with a new one.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

6. Back To Top    #6

What Donny said, and then buy a cover plate that goes over your existing plate
    18' x 38' 20,500 gallon vinyl IGP, 3.5 - 7' depth, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    2hp Whisperflo high performance pump, 1.1hp boost-rite pump for the cleaner,
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator
    Speedstir, K-1776, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Hmm, where would one buy a cover plate for the skimmer plate? I never even knew they had something like that.

1.) 27,000 gallons
    2.) Sand Filter
    3.) In-ground
    4.) Vinyl Liner
    5.) 1HP/63GPM

8. Back To Top    #8

Found one on the Amazons! Thanks everyone.

1.) 27,000 gallons
    2.) Sand Filter
    3.) In-ground
    4.) Vinyl Liner
    5.) 1HP/63GPM

9. Back To Top    #9

Glad you found them, 'cause I forgot where I saw them
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator

10. Back To Top    #10

I ordered new screws and a face plate. Two questions: will removing these screws cause my liner to slip away from the skimmer and should I drain the water down below the skimmer to install the faceplate? Not sure if the faceplate forms a water tight seal around the skimmer plate or if it's more of a decorative thing.

1.) 27,000 gallons
    2.) Sand Filter
    3.) In-ground
    4.) Vinyl Liner
    5.) 1HP/63GPM

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Todd,
    I missed your last post. I just went out and took my face plate off. There was a gasket between the face plate and the liner. There is also a gasket between the liner and skimmer. Hayward SP1084FGR Gray Snap on Face Plate Cover Replacement for Hayward SP1084 Skimmers on Amazon and elsewhere, not sure of your color, it snaps on over the face plate hiding screws.
    Ernie

12. Back To Top    #12

So they way mine looks is I have the skimmer plate with screws, then the liner, then the nasty exposed pool wall, then the skimmer. I just had the liner installed last year. I don't know why the installer didn't do something about that nasty rusty ****. I'll take a picture of it when I get home that shows the pool wall.

1.) 27,000 gallons
    2.) Sand Filter
    3.) In-ground
    4.) Vinyl Liner
    5.) 1HP/63GPM

13. Back To Top    #13

Here are some pics.

1.) 27,000 gallons
    2.) Sand Filter
    3.) In-ground
    4.) Vinyl Liner
    5.) 1HP/63GPM

14. Back To Top    #14

I read another forum tonight that said to drain the water below the skimmer and then use aquarium silicone on the rust.

1.) 27,000 gallons
    2.) Sand Filter
    3.) In-ground
    4.) Vinyl Liner
    5.) 1HP/63GPM

15. Back To Top    #15

Hi Todd,
    The brown you see behind your liner is a gasket, possibly two. Where mine had a gasket on either side of the liner it looks like yours has both behind your liner.
    Did your new plate come with a new gasket? On mine when I took it off the old gaskets tore, they aren't designed for re-use. I would use new ones.
    The installer didn't do a very good job at your skimmer, or at least I should say that the faceplate on mine hid both the cut edges of the liner and gasket.
    Ernie

16. Back To Top    #16

I agree 100% about the installer not doing a good job. There is something about the service industry in the Memphis area.... They all suck. Plumbers, HVAC, pool contractors, mechanics, etc. Every single one of them that I have dealt with over the years have always been the type to cut corners. Whatever gets them finished so they can move on to the next job. I don't know what it's like in other cities but Memphis, TN is rampant with that type. The new one should arrive today. It's just the snap on faceplate to hide the screws.

1.) 27,000 gallons
    2.) Sand Filter
    3.) In-ground
    4.) Vinyl Liner
    5.) 1HP/63GPM