Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About to add salt for first time, second guessing my choice....

1. Back To Top    #1

About to add salt for first time, second guessing my choice....

After researching past threads, I settled on buying 40lb bags of Diamond Crystal 40-lbs Salt Pellets. Here's the link to the product on the Lowes website:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...-100123420#img

Right on the website, it says 99.8% pure and I was expecting it to say this on the bag too......but it doesn't and now I'm second guessing myself. And now I'm reading a different thread on here that says I probably bought the wrong stuff. Should have gotten solar salt I guess? Can someone confirm before I start dumping them in and potentially mess everything up? Thanks.
    19K gal 27' round AG; SwimPro by Hayward High Rate Sand filter, model SW256T; Hayward Power-Flo Pump, 2 HP, model EP1550LX; Circupool Si +30 SWG; K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit from Taylor

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: About to add salt for first time, second guessing my choice....

I'd take it back. Those "pellets" are for water softeners. Just get regular ol pool salt. Walmart even has it. Several here use Solar Salt.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

The pellets will work, though we don't normally recommend them. Solar salt is just a little better and often a bit less expensive. The only difference is that the pellets dissolve a little more slowly, but that isn't actually a problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Well if it's not recommended, I don't want to do it my first time out with an SWG

So, I should just get this stuff then:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_15203-62226-...alt&facetInfo=

Mortons pool salt......I read a couple reviews somewhere talking about their being black stuff in their bags of salt, so I was going to steer clear. Sounds like I should just go with Mortons though.

Thanks everyone.
    19K gal 27' round AG; SwimPro by Hayward High Rate Sand filter, model SW256T; Hayward Power-Flo Pump, 2 HP, model EP1550LX; Circupool Si +30 SWG; K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit from Taylor

5. Back To Top    #5

If you already have it, the reason why it is not recommended (costs more) is invalid.

If you are buying more, I would get the solar salt (blue bags), unless pool salt costs the same (it is almost always noticeably more expensive).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

+1 w/Jason. If you already have it, just go ahead and use it. It's just a matter of cost and not performance.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!