Pentair MagicStream Luminars in Kansas

Apr 17, 2013
Kansas
Greetings to all,

I'm updating my pool, including building a flagstone pool deck going around my pool.

I fell for the beauty of Pentair MagicStream Luminars recently. I am most likely doing this project with the help of a local PB. He hasn't even installed these before but believes I'm asking for trouble, first, because we like in Kansas and must winterize our pool every year, second, because these will be operating through our flagstone deck and would be difficult to service later.

I'm starting to believe his judgment on this. Can others in here with luminar experience please advise me on this one?

I'm starting to think (after watching plenty of youtube videos on making your own luminars) it would be cheaper (and perhaps more entertaining) to make something from scratch above ground, giving me the "bells and whistles" for a low cost and when it poops out no big deal! Winterizing? Disconnect the hose nozzle, drain it, and toss it in the basement...

It sounds like I've answered my own question, but would enjoy the read of experts who have experience with luminars.

Winterizing is easy, takes a couple of minutes. I can't imagine having trouble with that. Once installed servicing shouldn't be very difficult. The main unit lifts right out of the deck box giving you easy access to anything except the deck box and the associated water and power connections, none of which are likely to break.

However, I can see installing them in an existing flagstone deck being a major pain, if not impossible to do without removing and then replacing portions of the flagstone.

Building a laminar jet can indeed be a great deal of fun, and way less expensive.

Hey Drgnslayr! By your handle, it sounds like you must be able to conquer (I mean slay) anything!! I think you did answer your own question.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert; our pool isn't even completed yet. Just thought I'd throw in my 2cents! We considered getting one or two laminars just for fun. But one of the pool guys talked me out of it. (didn't take much talking.....) He said for the money, he wouldn't do it. He said they look best when the air is calm, so the breezes can't blow it around messing up the pretty arc. I wouldn't say we're a windy location here in Houston, but we do get frequent gulf coast breezes.

Now, if I could (or would) build one myself for a lot less money, then what's the harm?! But if I'm spending $$$ on something, I'm going to want it to look great when I want it to look great.

My vote? Do It Yourself! And let us in on the project with lots of pictures!!!! I hope you have started a thread for your pool update/build. I'd love to see what it all looks like. Take care! Suz.

I built my own as shown in my thread Here. There's a couple of videos in the thread also, along with details of my construction.

Mine is actually on my deck overlooking the pool. It was a fun project. Wind, even a light breeze does destroy the laminar flow, so I usually run it when it is dead calm.

Thanks to everyone for posting a response!

Jason - The deck hasn't been installed yet, so I can easily install and then build over. Glad to know the main unit easily comes out of the deck box. Something to consider.

epro05 - Thanks for the link. I already found your link before posting and I have to say it is a big part of encouraging me to DIY! I'm also thinking about some custom programmable LED lighting and will discuss a build with some of my tech buddies. If we build something, I will definitely post it in here (if I have something worth posting). I'm going to build one of these regardless if I go with MagicStreams or not.

SuzfromTexas - Wind is a problem here. Adds another factor in to making these a permanent, in-ground feature. I'll discuss it with my wife and we'll decide quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.