Testing tap water before install

BellaBuggy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 24, 2015
Bardstown KY
For 6 weeks now the weather has delayed our dig. Today was *supposed* to be the day but the digger didn't show up, most likely because it's Derby day in the Bluegrass. I am basically a disappointed child at this point, so I decided to test our fill (tap) water and go buy chemicals, so I can at least feel a little bit of pool excitement today. (Incidentally our actual children are handling this much better than me :) )

Pool volume will be 25,600. I tested tap water only for PH (6.8) and TA (130).

So I *think* I need to plan on 8.5lbs of stabilizer, 23.6lbs of borax, and a whole lotta bleach. Does that sound about right? Should I buy anything else while I am at it? I had been under the impression that most people have to add muriatic acid but Pool Math does not tell me to do that, unless I've screwed something up. Or is that because I left the FC and CYA levels at 0?

Sorry for all the questions. I've read Pool School many times but I'm still nervous and unsure of myself.

Stabilizer, yes.

Bleach, no, unless there is some kind of smokin' two-for-one deal somewhere. It degrades with time and temperature and given the delays you've already encountered, you might end up with gallons of expensive water by the time you need to use it.

Borax, no. Despite the low pH, you have high TA, and that's going to raise the pH rather quickly. Just the aeration you'll get when filling and getting the water circulating may be enough to get it into range with no additional chemicals needed. It doesn't hurt to shop around and find out which stores actually stock the stuff. Also see who has acid at the best prices, because you'll likely be needing some eventually.

You'll need pool tools and toys, and the toys are showing up in the stores now.

Bare minimum a pole, a brush (not steel in a vinyl liner) a leaf skimmer, and some sort of vacuum setup. If you go with a manual head and a hose, you want the head with brushes not wheels. Check out the visual encyclopedia if you're unsure what I'm talking about.

Great, thanks! I'm glad I asked before I bought all that Borax then.

I have all of the toys and the equipment, I just need the darn crew!

Unfortunately not much to compare prices at around here - small town with one Lowe's, one Wal-Mart.

STAMP! STAMP! STAMP! That is me throwing a temper tantrum for you here in Florida! LOL

So we know that you will be buying your bleach at Walmart. The Lowes bleach could be old. We have heard many stories of old bleach from there so.........

Kim

Yes! And I just had a moment of brilliance and discovered that I can order all of this stuff online with store pickup, and use ebates to get 2% cash back at Wal-Mart! Does everyone here do that already? I know it's not much, but I imagine over the course of the summer it adds up. I'll take whatever cash back I can get. :)

oooh! ebates are the best! I would post an affiliate link but maybe that's frowned upon. ;) I do a lot of buying online and get the money back here and there. Always a nice surprise to get $200! Wal-Mart and Lowe's are there for sure (but not Home Depot).

I would post an affiliate link but maybe that's frowned upon.
Correct. From the forum rules...
Links. You may add a link to your signature ONLY after you have posted 200 meaningful posts. In addition, a link in the body of your post that can be interpreted as "direct selling" will result in removal of the entire post. A link that is helpful and in direct response to OP's question is allowed. This rule is to prevent "advertisers" from making a post only to display a link. Posting nonsense or meaningless posts to obtain a 200 post count can result in being banned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.