Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP Install - Bottom higher than wall track?

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP Install - Bottom higher than wall track?

I am in the process of switching out from a 48 Inch to 54 inch pool. It actually was a mistake that I bought the 54 inch walls, but it was a closeout last year so I'm stuck with it. The tricky part with this pool is that sits level with a 48 inch deck, so I need to dig down to make the 54inch walls level with the deck. I've already torn down the old pool and have dug a 6 inch trench with pavers set 2 inches below that. I dug out about 2-3 inches from the middle section of the pool, but to be honest it is killing me.

I'm wondering if it will hurt the integrity of the pool if I set the post so they're level with my deck, and then only dug about 3 inches from the middle section would leave me with 3 inches of dirt, an inch of sand, a gorilla pad and side cove which would bring the bottom of the pool up to about 50 inches. So basically it would look something like this:

| |
    |50 inches of Water |
    | |
    | |
    |------------------- |
    |inch of sand and gorilla pad |
    |------------------- |
    |3 inches of dirt |
    |----------------------------------| --- Posts on blocks
    21' Doughboy AGP
    1HP Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hawyard H-150 Heater
    Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP Install - Bottom higher than wall track?

As long as you have an overlap liner (folds over the top rail) that is fine. A j-hook liner would leave the j-hooks too high, with nothing to hook them to, if you do that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: AGP Install - Bottom higher than wall track?

Thanks for the quick reply!! Yes, it is an overlap liner.

My back thanks you.
    21' Doughboy AGP
    1HP Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hawyard H-150 Heater
    Intex SWG