Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does anyone know the sand gap dimension on a Hayward sand filter model S244T?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does anyone know the sand gap dimension on a Hayward sand filter model S244T?

Hello,
    I am going to clean my sand tomorrow while I add some unions in my supply lines. It was hard piped in originally. Anyway, I can't find anywhere what dimension I should use from the top of my sand to the filter body opening. The only info I can find is it holds 300#'s of sand. Does anyone know that dimension so I know if I need to add sand?
    Thx
    24,200 gal IG vinyl liner. Sand filter 1 1/2 hp Haywood pump. T2 turbo pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does anyone know the sand gap dimension on a Hayward sand filter model S244T?

I think it should be over 50% full and not be above where the tank starts to get smaller. Not sure of a dimension though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Does anyone know the sand gap dimension on a Hayward sand filter model S244T?

I just installed one of those two weeks ago but didn't think to measure the distance. I remember thinking I could have gotten at least another 50# bag in there. I'm guessing between 8-10 inches from the top. Jblizzle's info sounds like a safe bet.
    17x41 Sun Fiberglass Pool 21,500 gallons. Jandy 1hp pump, Hayward Top Mount Sand Filter, Coverstar Auto Cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok got my sand clean and union installed. Cover off,debris removed and automatic cleaner doing it's magic.
    My test #'s FC:1 CC:1 CH:300 TA:50 PH:7.2
    CYA...well I filled the tube all the way and can still see the dot. So I'll call it 10.
    My question do I bring up CYA and then add chlorine to bring that up. Does it matter?
    Thx
    24,200 gal IG vinyl liner. Sand filter 1 1/2 hp Haywood pump. T2 turbo pool cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by egadds View Post
    Ok got my sand clean and union installed. Cover off,debris removed and automatic cleaner doing it's magic.
    My test #'s FC:1 CC:1 CH:300 TA:50 PH:7.2
    CYA...well I filled the tube all the way and can still see the dot. So I'll call it 10.
    My question do I bring up CYA and then add chlorine to bring that up. Does it matter?
    Thx
    CYA takes a while to dissolve. Don't wait on the chlorine. You can do either one first, and you don't need to wait. One right after the other. Don't forget the sock method for the CYA. You don't want CYA granules in the filter in case you need to backwash before its all dissolved.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

So I wanna bring CYA to 40 and my chlorine to 4?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by egadds View Post
    So I wanna bring CYA to 40 and my chlorine to 4?
    Sure. Both are decent targets. You'll need to pay attention to the FC level and possibly target a bit higher if it dips below the minimum for your CYA every day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!