LED fixtures for older Swimquip light niche

Aug 21, 2013
J&J Electronics has come out with new LED light fixtures, and they have versions that fit in the old Swimquip light niches. Has anyone tried these yet?

Here they are at Sunplay: http://www.sunplay.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=j%26j+swimquip+

They're a bit cheaper at Pool Supply Unlimited, but their website puts their search tokens in a cookie rather than in the URL, so I can't link directly to a search result. Lousy web design. Here's one model: https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/jandj-electronics-lpl-f1w-120-30-psq-light-fixture/152045p1. Once you're there, just do a search for Purewhite Swimquip.

I'm really eager to find reviews of these products, but apparently they're new enough that nobody has tried them yet. I manage a "semi-public" pool, so after getting the required permits, hiring a licensed pool contractor to do the installation, and then getting a final inspection, it'll cost me $300-400 just to install the thing, in addition to the cost of the light itself. So I have to be very certain that it will last.

I'm currently looking for a replacement for my Swimquip fixture as well. I was just doing an internet search for these exact lights. Thing is, I find lots of versions but not many advertising the exact model I'm looking for which is the Colorsplash XG LPL-F2C-12-30-PSQ. The PSQ at the end being the key. The PSQ is the version that fits the old Swimquip housings. Only place I have found this exact model was at Sunplay. I'm also curious if anyone has any experience with these. A couple of reviews on Sunplay stated it wasn't bright enough to illuminate whole pool. Any info on these fixtures would be a great help as well as some locations to purchase.

Awesome, thanks!! :)

I saw that review where they said it didn't illuminate the whole pool. I always take those kinds of comments with a grain of salt, since most people have cloudy pools, and they think cloudy is OK because that's the way it's always been for them. Even a 1-watt keychain light would be able to illuminate a super-clear TFPC pool. :)

The thing I'm most curious about with these fixtures is the frosted glass lens. Most pool lights have a fresnel-type lens to direct the light to the bottom and sides of the pool, where as the J&J Colorsplash and Purewhite will just disperse the light equally in all directions. So I'm wondering how much glare is perceived by the swimmers and people standing near the pool.

Thanks again for volunteering to be the guinea pig with these lights.

I have SwimQuip Niche in my pool and a full size light in my spa as well. I have put the ColorSplash XG light fixture in my pool. I saved a little money and installed the colorSplash spa bulb replacement in the full size light in my spa. I really like them and have more than enough light in my pool. I have tried numerous times to load GIF file with no luck, so if you would like to see what they look like you can PM me your email address and I will email you the GIF so you can see both the light fixture and spa bulb replacement working.

Aaron

I am in the process of installing this (lpl-f2c-12-30-PSQ) color splash light fixture in my old SwimQuip niche. I have been searching for a fixture or bulb that would
adapt to my nich since 2011. At that time J&J Electronics who manufacturers these did not have a ColorSplash that would fit this niche. I lost communications with
them due to a hard drive failure that had their information on it. I found the old hard drive and now I have recontacted them and they do make the fixture but not
yet the bulb that will fit the niche.

I talked personally with them today and verified that the fixture is very effective in lighting my 18 x 36 pool which is white walls and bottom. I saw the reviews about some people said not enough light, but I know personally you could not satisfy some people no matter what you did. They carry a 3 year
warrantry. I will take some pictures of my pool at night with this light when I get it installed and post them.

They guaranteed me that I would be very happy with it. I have been dealing with J&J man since 2011-2013 and now again today about this light.

Also he spoke about the glass lense which he says works very well in dispersing the light.

I figure this is the only solution for me due to the SwimQuip niche unless I do major remodeling and install a larger niche. I was planning on doing that because I
already have a ColorLogic Hayward fixture 12 volt that I bought but it would not fit the SwimQuip niche.

Tom

Also for everyone's information the normal colorsplash ficture can be retro fitted to the swimquip niche. I have done it... all you have to do is drill a new hole 3/4" closer to the center of the fixture and then on the clasp side you have to extend the clasp and bend it back 3/4" as well I did this by drilling a small hole into the clasp and using a cut off portion of a hose clamp which i secured by a small stainless nut and bolt. Then I shaped it to what I needed. It took some trial and error but the finished product works and looks good. In this installation we were left with an extra hole in the fixture for the original screw which we just left the screw in and put a stainless nut on the back to keep it from falling out. Worked perfect... So basically the swimquip fixture which ends in PSQ is nothing more than a different face plate on the same light housing as the normal colorsplash fixture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.