Variable speed pump stopped after failing to prime properly.

missi

May 2, 2015
Austin
Hello!

I have a Jandy VSflopro, and just replaced my filters. I've had the pool for years, and generally can replace filters with no problem. This time, I started the pump, and it read that it was priming, then went up to full speed with no suction. The pump basket remained free of water, but the pump didn't get hot. After several minutes, (about 5) of running at full speed with no pressure, I heard a beep and then the pump stopped. It reads that it is on, but there is no sound, and nothing is happening.

I tried turning everything off and back on, and that didn't work. I also flipped all the breakers to reboot the system, and still nothing. It is a self priming pump, and I generally don't have to add water after a restart, but it does take longer to get pressure than when it has just been off for the night without opening any of the equipment.

Any suggestions? I can provide more info if needed.

Thanks so much for your help!

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing to check is to make sure the pump strainer basket lid is making a good seal to the pump body. Examine the sealing gasket and make sure it is clean and free of nicks or cuts. If that doesn't turn up anything, check you valves (if any) to make sure everything is set appropriately. Next after that is to start looking for a suction side air leak.

Thanks so much!

I think that the pump just shut off because of running dry for so long. There must be some sort of "auto shut off" with this pump.

I waited half an hour, then turned the pump back on again, and it ran just fine. My last pump had no "auto shut off" so I was surprised when this one turned itself off, but all is good now.

Sorry for the delayed thank you, but I couldn't find my post to check on it - the navigation on my phone was challenging!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.