Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable speed pump stopped after failing to prime properly.

1. Back To Top    #1

Variable speed pump stopped after failing to prime properly.

Hello!

I have a Jandy VSflopro, and just replaced my filters. I've had the pool for years, and generally can replace filters with no problem. This time, I started the pump, and it read that it was priming, then went up to full speed with no suction. The pump basket remained free of water, but the pump didn't get hot. After several minutes, (about 5) of running at full speed with no pressure, I heard a beep and then the pump stopped. It reads that it is on, but there is no sound, and nothing is happening.

I tried turning everything off and back on, and that didn't work. I also flipped all the breakers to reboot the system, and still nothing. It is a self priming pump, and I generally don't have to add water after a restart, but it does take longer to get pressure than when it has just been off for the night without opening any of the equipment.

Any suggestions? I can provide more info if needed.

Thanks so much for your help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Variable speed pump stopped after failing to prime properly.

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing to check is to make sure the pump strainer basket lid is making a good seal to the pump body. Examine the sealing gasket and make sure it is clean and free of nicks or cuts. If that doesn't turn up anything, check you valves (if any) to make sure everything is set appropriately. Next after that is to start looking for a suction side air leak.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Variable speed pump stopped after failing to prime properly.

Thanks so much!

I think that the pump just shut off because of running dry for so long. There must be some sort of "auto shut off" with this pump.

I waited half an hour, then turned the pump back on again, and it ran just fine. My last pump had no "auto shut off" so I was surprised when this one turned itself off, but all is good now.

Sorry for the delayed thank you, but I couldn't find my post to check on it - the navigation on my phone was challenging!