Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken pipe glue question - help please

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken pipe glue question - help please

Hi all. Opening for the season and have a broken pipe between my heater and the main plumbing. It's only about 2' long and I've dug it out so as to do the repair. It appears to be just 2" schedule 40 PVC, but I'll need to recip saw off the 2 elbows and glue 2 new elbows onto the new length of pipe. My question is: do I just need standard pvc glue for the joints or some sort of special pool plumbing glue? Sorry, I'm a petty knowledgeable DIYer, but still have much to learn on plumbing repair. Thank you!
    10k gallon fiberglass freeform pool, Paramount SwingJet system, Dolphin DX5 robot, Pentair 48" Tagelus sand filter with glass media, WhisperFlo 1 HP pump, Hayward H200FDN natural gas heater, TF-100 Test Kit, and, of course, Margaritaville Tahiti blender!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Broken pipe glue question - help please

Just primer and glue, same as any PVC plumbing job. It will be under less pressure than household plumbing, it's just harder to access.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, primer and glue? I saw another post that said this stuff sets in 30 seconds and you can re pressurize within minutes?
    10k gallon fiberglass freeform pool, Paramount SwingJet system, Dolphin DX5 robot, Pentair 48" Tagelus sand filter with glass media, WhisperFlo 1 HP pump, Hayward H200FDN natural gas heater, TF-100 Test Kit, and, of course, Margaritaville Tahiti blender!

4. Back To Top    #4

I prefer the Oatey Rain R shine (medium duty blue in color) and I use primer as well.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, it sets very fast. Be sure to get the joint into place quickly and hold it there until the glue sets, which will be very quickly. Technically you should wait an hour before pressurizing the joint, but a couple of minutes is normally good enough (at normal temps, longer if way cold).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Awesome, thanks so much guys!!