Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbe with above ground, over sized filter???

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbe with above ground, over sized filter???

We have a new 18'x52" Intex Ultra frame, 6981 gal volume. I wanted a DE filter, and saw one on craigslist for $75.00 advertised as a sand filter, but label said DE, but no size or model number was shown.
    Drove 2 hrs to look at it. Complete pkg. was used for one year, like brand new with a 2hp pump, valve and chlorinator. So I bought it. Upon returning home, researched. As it turns out, it is waaay big.
    It is a hayward Pro-grid 4820, advertised to turnover 7200GPH. Am I crazy to try and use this? All input is appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbe with above ground, over sized filter???

That is a great price for that filter and one heck of a turnover rate, you'd need to filter only 1 hour a day .

What I'd be worried about is feeding that hungry pump, You may need a 2 1/2" suction line and 2" out.

You may try flipping it, making some money in the progress, and buying a pump better sized for your pool. An oversized filter IMO, will work for you, just the pump may be too aggressive.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

That pump might be a bit much for your Intex plumbing ... and it will use a lot of power.
    Your Intex pump is not going to have the power to backwash that new filter. It might work to filter with your pump, but you will have to disassemble to clean it.

Sounds like you got a really good deal, just not sure how well it is going to work for you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

And btw....turnover rate doesn't bare much credence around here.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum afqu
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    And btw....turnover rate doesn't bare much credence around here.
    Glad to hear that. I have a reef tank and turnover is a real biggie

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That pump might be a bit much for your Intex plumbing ... and it will use a lot of power.
    Your Intex pump is not going to have the power to backwash that new filter. It might work to filter with your pump, but you will have to disassemble to clean it.

Sounds like you got a really good deal, just not sure how well it is going to work for you.
    Always the newbie or dummy that gets the good deals, huh? Thanks for replying.
    To make sure I kinda understand..............pump is hungry for water, it works hard to get it, then electric bill goes way up. I think I understand the filter part pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
    That is a great price for that filter and one heck of a turnover rate, you'd need to filter only 1 hour a day .

What I'd be worried about is feeding that hungry pump, You may need a 2 1/2" suction line and 2" out.

You may try flipping it, making some money in the progress, and buying a pump better sized for your pool. An oversized filter IMO, will work for you, just the pump may be too aggressive.
    Hi crabboy, thanks for the input. If I do decide to go with a smaller pump, any suggestions?

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry, but my experience with Intex plumbing and equiptment is only what I read on TFP. Many here have upgraded their Intex equipment and would be more qualified than me to suggest replacements.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.