Blue water blues

Prepooler

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
Newnan, Georgia
We are stumped. We're on our fifth year,I think, with our AGP and never had this problem. We live in the woods with a lot of trees around our 33' round AGP. The previous years we never covered the pool even tho I had bought a cover our first season. To avoid the massive clean-up in the spring, I decided to cover the pool. All was good until, as we uncovered the pool, we let maybe 20 -30 gallons of dirty, leafy water run into the clear water in the pool. I thought it would not be a problem - a small clean-up compared to previous years. Unfortunately, we had massive amounts of rain that kept us from getting started. After a couple of days we had a nice pretty green pool. Three or four days later we had a huge frog pond. Scores of happily singing tree frogs. It was an amazing chorus at night. I should have recorded it. The rain stopped and thousands of tadpoles were happily navigating around our green pool. We cleaned the pool as best we could without being able to see anything thru the green water. We knew it still was dirty, but decided to start slamming anyway and the frogs would run for the woods and maybe clear the water enough to see what we need to clean. My wife bought some Clorox branded shock from Walmart to get the shock level up and then use 8.25% bleach the rest of the way. That's when our green water turned a beautiful blue. We have continued slamming now over a week. Using the TF-100 test kit, we have kept our shock well above 16 and the CYA at 40 and have passed the overnight drop test for several days now. The whole time we've been cleaning/changing the filter and brushing and vacuuming blindly, yet the water remains cloudy sky blue. My wife is, this morning, again going for more bleach and we are both frustrated and confused and a little less financially secure. Yesterday, I decided to lower the cholrine level so I've not added any more bleach and let the level drift down. The other tests have been steady with TA at 70 and pH at 7.5. Any suggestions are appreciated.

How has the filter pressure been behaving? Have you had to clean the filter? How much are you running the pump each day?

You should be seeing a visible improvement in water clarity each day. It might not be very large, but some visible improvement. If you aren't there is something going on, most likely a filter issue of some kind.

How has the filter pressure been behaving? Have you had to clean the filter? How much are you running the pump each day?

You should be seeing a visible improvement in water clarity each day. It might not be very large, but some visible improvement. If you aren't there is something going on, most likely a filter issue of some kind.

Thanks Jason. Filter pressure is good and has been cleaned every other day. When my wife last cleaned it, it had sawdustly looking stuff in it. That's when we installed new filter Thursday night. There has been some visible improvement but very little.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd grab that pole net and start dragging the bottom to clear any debris you can. MAINTAIN Slam level for your cya. Be patient!:cool:[/QU

OK Woody. It's hard to be patient but we're trying. Just don't want to miss something that might be obvious to someone else. Just raised chlorine back up to shock levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.