Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help removing a loop loc cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Help removing a loop loc cover

My cover is solid with a mesh strip down the middle. Never removed it myself so I'm kinda dumb here...

First question...how exactly do I remove it?? I mean it's strung all tight between the anchors. Do I pull an anchor completely on one side first? Or do I pry the hook off the anchor? Too tight to try to loosen straps and I'm guessing I wouldn't want to anyway.

Also...how the heck are you supposed to fold it again? I've seen some detailed descriptions here that I wasn't quite visualizing. But it's just a fanfold or accordion fold, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help removing a loop loc cover

First, get all debris and water off the cover. Ignore water for a mesh cover. Then pop all the springs off with the provided tool. Finally accordion fold the cover at one of the short ends of the pool.

There are several good videos on YouTube, for example:
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Um... Provided tool? All I have is the giant Allen key to use on the anchors. Is there something else I should have and, since I apparently don't, is there anything I can use as a substitute?
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

4. Back To Top    #4

If you don't happen to have the cover removal tool, you can order one through various online sites or in a pinch, a bicycle seat with the right size post will fit over the anchor and inside the loop for removal. I take no responsibility if the bicycle seat post is too thin/weak and is damaged in the process!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Watch the video, he shows what the tool looks like and how to kick the straps off the anchor if you don't have the tool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Omigod! I found the tool but what a workout! Do these come in different sizes? Mine is smaller than the loop so the neat and perfect twist he does doesn't happen! I'm already exhausted after 8 and I have 22 more to go! Do these things come in different sizes?

7. Back To Top    #7

You need to develope a technique for using the tool. It make take you a few tries but basically when I do it I place the tool over the brass screw, give it a twist to get between the screw and strap ring and a swift kick and they pop right off.

Sorry, I know that makes no sense but once you figure it out, it will. Just using arm force will kick your butt like you described.

Mine don't pop off easy like the video either. They need a swift kick on the tool and my spring are set per Loop loc instructions. His looked easy.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

8. Back To Top    #8

Heel of the shoe for the other 22. Now I'm drying the cover. things heavy as heck!

9. Back To Top    #9

Incidentally...big shout out to all you wonderful pool geeks here! Pic below is just after the cover's off. Levels:
    Cl - 0.5
    CYA - 50
    pH - 7.4
    TA - 60

I couldn't be happier!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10