Manual vacuuming on pool opening

Aug 3, 2010
Hi all I am attempting to open my own pool this year and I have a few questions. Last year I was able to successfully open my pool on my own, but I used my brother's robotic cleaner to get rid of algae/winter buildup. Rummaging through the previous owner's storage box, I found a vacuum hose and vacuum head - bonus! I have an in ground gunite pool with an attached spa. My filter system is a purex triton fns plus 60 with matching multiport valve, and the pump motor is a Century 1.5hp uprated motor, 19.2/9/6A. I have yet to open the pool because I want to be sure of what I'm doing before starting. So, my questions are as follows:
1. I test fitted the hose, and it connects securely to the vacuum head. The skimmer side of the hose fits inside the skimmer port, but it is loose within the port, not snug. Does the vacuum suction from the pool pump secure the hose into the port, or do I need to buy an adapter so that is fits snug inside the skimmer port? All the youtube videos I've seen show the person connecting the hose to the skimmer port but do not mention if it is the suction holding the hose in or if the hose is supposed to fit snug.
2. I planned on using the pool pump system, setting it to waste, and vacuuming the algae/winter buildup so that it bypasses the filter and exits through the waste hose into a sewer. Is this advisable? My pool guy used a contraption he made where a standalone pool pump/motor was used to vacuum from the pool, through his contraption, into a waste hose, then into the sewer.
Thanks in advance for any advice, and have a happy and safe pool season!

If the hose rests at the suction opening, you're ready to vacuum. If it can slide in, you run the risk that the collar on the hose will come off and get stuck in the pipes. It has happened. Luckily, not to me, but I read it here a few years back.

What I use is a PVC threaded adaptor. The hose shoves into the threaded part easily and the outer diameter is just roight to slip into the suction port and rest on the lip inside.
611942032013lg.jpg

Thanks for the input. The collar is tapered in a manner that the smaller end fits in the suction port, but the larger end (attached to the hose) has a larger diameter than the suction port so it rests on top of the port.
419Soxk-NtL.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.