Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IC 40 Intelchlorinator says low salt when it is at 3435 (ideal)

1. Back To Top    #1

IC 40 Intelchlorinator says low salt when it is at 3435 (ideal)

Can anyone help me with what is going on? My IC 40 reports good flow but the red light (low salt) is on. The pool temperature is 65 degrees right now, but the red light remains on when I switch to spa mode and heat the jacuzzi. Is the IC 40 malfunctioning? I am concerned about low chlorine production since the machine is perceiving low salt levels. I had my pool tested for its salinity and it is nearly ideal at 3435 ppm. Thank you for any suggestions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IC 40 Intelchlorinator says low salt when it is at 3435 (ideal)

Oh....By the way....this is a new pool (completed July 2014) so the salt generator was used through November, 2014.

3. Back To Top    #3

If there is a Low Salt level, then it most likely isnt producing chlorine.

How was the salt level tested? Pool Store? You? by what method? Computer? Strips? Titration test?

I would recommend taking some water to several places to get tested. Just like getting a second opinion from a Doctor.
    Since it has only been in use since July, then warranty shouldnt be a issue. If its true the salt is OK then I would recommend you contact your Pool Builder as most likely, any warranty claim would processed through him.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think I would add 300-400ppm more to the pool first. The test could be off by that much and going up to 4500 ppm is fine. ,
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I tested by bringing it into an A&S retail store at opening and then one week later after I added a 25 lb bag of salt to bring the level to 3435 ppm. I am also concerned about lack of chlorine generation.

6. Back To Top    #6

Our salt level always reads (about 400) higher on the control panel than when tested. I wouldn't add more salt until you figure out if the IC40 is bad or not. Test your chlorine level. You can add plain old Walmart bleach in the mean time if it's low. Definitely call your pool builder.
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

7. Back To Top    #7

I wonder if I need to acid wash the IC 40? I have never done that, though the pool opened and was used July to November 2014. Any further thoughts?

8. Back To Top    #8

Sure, that is a good idea. You'll be ale to see if there is a bunch of calcium deposits in the blades. Good idea.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't understand how two companies can be that far apart with their testing?

How long do I have to wait for the IC 40 to recalibrate?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

opps! A&S tested my salt and it read 3435 ppm whereas Leslie's tested it at 2300 (low). I added five bags (40 lbs) of salt in accord with Leslie's recommendations. See above for the questions. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

It still reads low on the IC40.

10. Back To Top    #10

Have you ordered your own test kit? http://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-TECHNOL.../dp/B001DO35EU
    Testing your pool water is easy to do and for more reliable than a store.
    I removed our salt cell for the first time since it was installed and the muratic acid/water solution didn't bubble at all. There was no build up on the plates.
    What percent do you have the cell set to run at thru the Easy Touch control panel?
    Also what is your chlorine level?
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

11. Back To Top    #11

I have it set at 60%. My chlorine level was about .95 this am after dumping chlorine/shock into pool last night. Adding the salt resolved the issue--it now reads "good." Thanks for the kit tip.

12. Back To Top    #12

My IC 40 had this issue. Reading low salt when it was at 3400 ppm. I acid washed it three times with no luck and finally called my pool builder. Luckily it was still under warranty. He came out and fixed it for me. When I called he said he would either replace the sensor or replace the unit. I'm thinking he replaced a sensor. I was not home when he came. Got home and it was working.

Not a lot of info, but you may have an issue that's covered under the 3 year warranty.
    30K gal IG Vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo Pump, Sand Filter, Pentair IC-40 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Legend Cleaner

13. Back To Top    #13

My guess is he added salt. Salt tests are not all that precise, +/- 400 is common. Also, adding more salt is not a problem. IC does not give high salt error until 4500ppm. But, it will continue to produce salt at even higher levels. I learned that my first fall with the pool. When the water got cold and it gave me low salt error I added more salt. And more, etc. Salt was well above 5000 and it kept making chlorine for the next 2+ years and I didn't have to add salt for 2 years!
    TFP Moderator