Total cost to open pool about $3.50 - Thanks TFP

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
People really don't believe me when I tell them how little I spend to run my pool. I opened it up tonight. Here's two pics when the cover was just removed. Pretty clear and easy to see main drains.

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

After checking water, I found the following:

FC: 3
CC: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 70
CH: 170
CYA: Not tested due to low light
Salt: 3300 (per system, not test)
Water temp: 49

My CYA should be close to where I left it or lower since so about 15" of water was drained in fall and added from snowfall and rain. I figure it's around 60, It was 70-80 when I closed. That being said, I figured a little extra bleach was ok since it was just getting opened and SWG is off due to water temp.

So one gallon of bleach: $2.93
About 30 oz of washing soda: Maybe 50 cents?

Probably could have left the pH alone too, but figured I'd get it around 7.5.

New readings after a couple of hours:

FC: 6.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 70
CH: 170
CYA: Not tested due to low light
Salt: 3300 (per system, not test)
Water temp: 48

Seriously TFP, $3.50 to get the pool balanced, in one day...Thank you!

Don't be surprised if you lost CYA over the winter. It happens.

I'll be testing that today Casey. I might have. I'll report back on that.

Did an OCLT too, and this morning, same, 6.5. No loss. Nice! Now just for it to warm up...

Stupid Polaris 280 though, won't get into the shallow end. Starting doing this last year. Need to research that...I tried thrust adjustment, and that doesn't seem to help much. The hose seems to have some bend memory now, so I wonder if that's contributing to it.

As for my dog, yeah, that's Marcy. She's my baby. :D She's a terrier mix, mostly Rat Terrier from what we can tell. From Arkansas. A rescue dog. She's an absolute peach, and knows she's got it good now!

Just opened this weekend (Posted a thank you on this forum) Clean water and tonight just tested the full test: After adding 1 gallon of bleach, FC is 6, TA 70, CYA (added about 1/2 cup) 41, pH 6.8. Gonna bring my pH up a little with borax and do a second big vacuuming (mostly from the pollen falling from the elm trees) and..... well, that's it! Ta Da! swimmable pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice post, Steve. I was speaking with a moderator the other day and we both remarked how VERY rewarding it is to see these stories posted on the forum. Thank you for sharing your ongoing story.

I'm trying to convert a coworker who had a pool put in last year. He said he just paid $300+ to have his pool opened, and that would be the last time he would do that. I told him it would probably cost $6-9 to open it himself; just the price of a little bleach. We got talking test kits, and my foreman mentioned something about a better test kit. My coworker asked me about the Taylor 2006 on Amazon. I pointed him to tftestkits. He ordered a kit and salt strips last night. Not sure where from though. Hopefully he'll join the better side fully, and not just dabble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.