Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Total cost to open pool about $3.50 - Thanks TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

Total cost to open pool about $3.50 - Thanks TFP

People really don't believe me when I tell them how little I spend to run my pool. I opened it up tonight. Here's two pics when the cover was just removed. Pretty clear and easy to see main drains.

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

After checking water, I found the following:

FC: 3
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 70
    CH: 170
    CYA: Not tested due to low light
    Salt: 3300 (per system, not test)
    Water temp: 49

My CYA should be close to where I left it or lower since so about 15" of water was drained in fall and added from snowfall and rain. I figure it's around 60, It was 70-80 when I closed. That being said, I figured a little extra bleach was ok since it was just getting opened and SWG is off due to water temp.

So one gallon of bleach: $2.93
    About 30 oz of washing soda: Maybe 50 cents?

Probably could have left the pH alone too, but figured I'd get it around 7.5.

New readings after a couple of hours:

FC: 6.5
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 70
    CH: 170
    CYA: Not tested due to low light
    Salt: 3300 (per system, not test)
    Water temp: 48

Seriously TFP, $3.50 to get the pool balanced, in one day...Thank you!
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Total cost to open pool about $3.50 - Thanks TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice work! Next year shoot for under 3 bucks!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't be surprised if you lost CYA over the winter. It happens.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice Job Steve. People never believe it, it's a common problem with TFP. No mystery to pool care at all.

I like your Dog by the way...been meaning to say that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll be testing that today Casey. I might have. I'll report back on that.

Did an OCLT too, and this morning, same, 6.5. No loss. Nice! Now just for it to warm up...

Stupid Polaris 280 though, won't get into the shallow end. Starting doing this last year. Need to research that...I tried thrust adjustment, and that doesn't seem to help much. The hose seems to have some bend memory now, so I wonder if that's contributing to it.

As for my dog, yeah, that's Marcy. She's my baby. She's a terrier mix, mostly Rat Terrier from what we can tell. From Arkansas. A rescue dog. She's an absolute peach, and knows she's got it good now!
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thats awesome...I'm going to open my pool in the next few weeks and hope it goes as smoothly as yours did!
    IG freeform gunite w/attached spa. Purex Triton FNS Plus 60 filter with matching multiport backwash valve. Century 1.5HP motor. Purex Minimax Plus 400 gas heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Rat terriers are really good dogs.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Just opened this weekend (Posted a thank you on this forum) Clean water and tonight just tested the full test: After adding 1 gallon of bleach, FC is 6, TA 70, CYA (added about 1/2 cup) 41, pH 6.8. Gonna bring my pH up a little with borax and do a second big vacuuming (mostly from the pollen falling from the elm trees) and..... well, that's it! Ta Da! swimmable pool!
    Intex Ultraframe AG 18 x 52, 6981 gal, 1,600 gph sand filter,

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds like you're in the $5 range to open yourself. A really great feeling isn't it?

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Nice post, Steve. I was speaking with a moderator the other day and we both remarked how VERY rewarding it is to see these stories posted on the forum. Thank you for sharing your ongoing story.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Great job..
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm trying to convert a coworker who had a pool put in last year. He said he just paid $300+ to have his pool opened, and that would be the last time he would do that. I told him it would probably cost $6-9 to open it himself; just the price of a little bleach. We got talking test kits, and my foreman mentioned something about a better test kit. My coworker asked me about the Taylor 2006 on Amazon. I pointed him to tftestkits. He ordered a kit and salt strips last night. Not sure where from though. Hopefully he'll join the better side fully, and not just dabble.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

Plano, TX
    20,000 gallons Kidney Bean IG Plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear 530 Cartridge Filter