Cloudy water worse after adding chlorine

Jun 6, 2010
Central Indiana
We are working on getting our pool up and running and everything is looking good except the water is kind of cloudy. It's clear enough we can see the bottom of the pool but it is not as clear as it was before we added water this year. I've also noticed that the cloudiness becomes worse after adding chlorine. All of our numbers that I can test look good (see below).

Over the winter we lowered it down go just below the skimmer and the water was very clear at the start of spring. We had to use well water to fill it the rest of the way up. Last year when we top off with well water it turned the water a greenish color but this improved quickly with sequa-sol and running the filter. This year I've added sequa-sol about 1 week ago and while it never ex turned green, it is still cloudy.

Any thoughts on how to clear this up?

Water temp- 62
Free Chlorine- 4
Combined chlorine- 0
Ph- between 7.8 and 8.0 (hard to read the colors exactly)
Cya- 50

Are you using Cal-hypo "shock" to chlorinate? That's the most common cause of cloudiness immediately after adding stuff. High pH can cause Calcium cloudiness, and you will have localized really high pH from the lye in the bleach that should dissipate.

What is your CH reading? What are you chlorinating with? And have you adjusted the pH down?

What test kit are you using? Your FC is low too.

Tftest kits fas/dpd The recommended level is 4 on the pool math calculator on this site
you just bought the single FAS-DPD test, not as part of a kit?

The TF100 kit is recommended because it has all the necessary tests included. The cloudy water is indicative of a CH issue, so we need to know your CH level.

But, with 50 CYA 4 FC is the absolute minimum - not a target. You should be targeting 6 or,so to make sure that you never go below 4. So, if you have gone below 4 on a regular basis you may have an algae issue about to rear its ugly head.

Well, What has been your chlorine source for the last few years?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is possible that CH has been building up in your water for some time (from either natural sources, or chemicals that have been added and this clouding is a sign that things may be about to come toppling down if you don't get it under control.

Filter help

Thread merged by Divin Dave

This is our second year at this house with the pool. When we purchased the house the pool included a cartridge filter as well as a sand filter. The previous owner had the cartridge filter hooked up saying he liked it better. Last year we used the cartridge filter all year and had to remove it to clean it about every 1 to 1.5 weeks. (pleatco PA100n filter). This year our pool water looks clean and all are numbers are good but the water is kind of cloudy. This year the filter needs changed every day or more frequently. The pressure will go from around 13-14 PSI to 19 PSI in as little as a few hours or by the next day at the most.

So any thoughts on what is going on? Why are the filters getting dirty so quickly? Is there a problem with the pool or the filters (1 filter is new last year the other one came with the pool).

I've also thought about trying the sand filter but don't know for sure if it works. It is a hayward filter. How can I check to see if it works before hooking it up? Would it need new sand? Anything I need to be aware of before using it? Should I try it out or stick with the cartridge filters?

Thanks

Re: Filter help

As I stated in your earlier thread I think you have algae growing and this is what is plugging upi your filter so quickly. You should read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Well I got home from work yesterday planning to SLAM based on all of the comments and the water was suddenly clear...I changed out the filter and then did an OCLT. The chlorine measured the same last night as it did this morning, no loss noted. Water is still clear as well. However, the filter that I just put in last night is already clogged up it went from 13PSI to 19 PSI in less than 12 hours. What next?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.